Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i need to change my thermostat. i already bout a new one but cant figure out on how to get to the old one. anyone have a good write up on this or point me in the right direction so i can get this changed out soon. any help or advice is thanked!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did mine this past week. 2005 i4 Mazda 6. And this is my take on changing the thermostat.

1- remove Neg battery cable
2- loosen Pass front wheel
3- jack up car and remove wheel
4- remove plastic inner splash guard over control arm
5- release tension on serpentine belt and loosen belt from power steering pulley
6- locate PS pump on top of Pass side of motor and remove 3 bolts(lower bolt is a strain to get to with lines attached((and pull toward fender))
7- locate T-stat housing below PS and loosen Radiator hose clamps to drain fluid from housing
8- loosen 3 bolts on T-stat housing itself (lower bolt is a strain to get to)
9- replace T-stat (i used my finger to lubricate gasket before install)
10- reinstall all parts in reverse order

Some folks said to run the engine with HEAT on for some amount of time.
I personally burped the hoses, by squeezing them to force any air out of the lines. Then added coolant to system until it stopped forcing bubbles out radiator opening. (This will help to make sure Heater is blowing warm air and not cold air.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
ECT circuit low input (P0117)
• The PCM monitors the ECT sensor signal at PCM terminal 1M. If the PCM detected ECT sensor voltage of 0.20 V or below, the PCM determines that the ECT sensor circuit has a malfunction.
ECT circuit high input (P0118)
• The PCM monitors the ECT sensor signal at PCM terminal 1M. If the PCM detected ECT sensor voltage of 4.58 V or above, the PCM determines that the ECT sensor circuit has a malfunction.

Thermostat
Coolant thermostat stuck open (P0126)
• If the ECT signal never exceeds 71 °C {160 °F} after the engine runs for a certain period, the PCM determines that the coolant thermostat is stuck open.
MONITORING CONDITIONS
— IAT: –10 °C {14 °F} or above
— Difference between ECT at engine start and minimum IAT: 6 °C {43 °F} or below
— Vehicle speed: 6.3 km/h {3.9 mph} or above Coolant thermostat stuck open (P0128)
• The PCM monitors MAF, IAT, VSS and ECT signals and calculates radiator heat radiation ratio while the following monitoring conditions are met. If calculated value exceeds threshold, the PCM determines that the coolant thermostat is stuck open.

MONITORING CONDITIONS
— ECT at engine start: 36 °C {97 °F} or below
— IAT: –10 °C {14 °F} or above
— Difference between ECT at engine start and minimum IAT: 6 °C {43 °F} or below
— Vehicle speed: 9.5 km/h {5.9 mph} or above

JMD902

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for providing the instructions for replacing the thermostat. On a related subject, I have questions about replacing the lower radiator hose on my 2005 Mazda 6i with the 4 Cylinder engine:
1) I'm not replacing my thermostat; I'm just replacing my radiator hoses since the car is ten years old and it would be good preventive maintenance. Do I need to remove the left front wheel to get the hose off of the thermostat? I'm thinking it may be possible to remove tension on the serpentine belt from above, and then unbolt the power steering pump to gain access to the thermostat housing where the lower radiator hose connects to. Let me know if this is possible.
2) Is the lower radiator hose made up of multiple sections? This would be the longest lower radiator hose I have every replaced, so I'm thinking it may be made up of more than one piece.
3) Is the lower radiator hose a dealer only part or can I buy it from Amazon.com?
Thanks again for all of the help! This is a really valuable forum. From Mike D'Amico

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, not sure if anyone is following this thread anymore. Anyways, I just learned I need to replace my thermostat in my 2007 Mazda 6 (4 cylinder).

My question is, can I replace the thermostat without removing the drive belt? I have no experience removing and replacing a drive belt and don't want to frig up my engine. I also don't wanna pay a mechanic $300+ to replace the thermostat. I've replaced thermostats in other vehicles without any trouble, and I'm sure I can replace this one if I can figure out the drive belt. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts