Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 03 mazda6 came with a lip spoiler installed. i wanted to change it to the raised wing spoiler. i'm hoping that i can use the same drill points the lip spoiler uses. am i thinking wrong? i don't want to try to install the new wing spoiler only to have new holes visible

and although its not that big a deal, is the trunk under the lip spoiler painted? or will i have to paint it up after taking it off?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I believe that you will have to drill new holes, the mounting points are different. And yes, the trunk should be painted under the lip spoiler.

·
Registered
368 Posts
As the wing spoiler is more popular, maybe you can find a spoiler with the trunk lid the same color as your car and just swap out the trunk and sppoiler as a whole.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've already been to a couple of junkyards, and none seem to have my car. plus finding a fire red metallic one will be somewhat harder

is it possible i can fill in the unneeded holes? then i can use touchup paint or something over it. i think 2 of the mounting holes on the ends are positioned the same, so i only have to worry about the holes that would be exposed along the edge of the trunk. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You can fill them in with bondo, but touchup paint probably won't do the job right. You could also try the plug things that people use for the holes in the bumper after they take off their license plate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One thing I would be worried about is the difference in the color of the paint underneath the spoiler. It probably will be pretty noticeable. There will also be a few scratches were the lip spoiler was. Finding a whole new trunk is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i remember a while ago i saw someone posted up a pic of them adding a tiny 'wing' underneath the spoiler. from what i remember, it didn't really make much of a difference in my eyes. i'm thinking i can add one of these to cover up the drill holes, then install the normal spoiler on top of it. what do you guys think about this? i'm still trying to search for that thread right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts