Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the sparkplugs on the Speed6? I looked around the engine bay and was wondering how easy or hard it is to do. Any directions would be helpful. I searched the forum and couldn't find any.

·
Registered
329 Posts
To get to the spark plugs you have to remove the Intercooler. You remove the plastic IC cover, unbold the IC from the block, loosen the two couplers going to the end tanks, and it should lift right off. Be careful where you grab on to because those fins bend easily. With the intercooler removed, unbolt the coil packs and pull them off the plugs.

What plugs are you planning on using?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To get to the spark plugs you have to remove the Intercooler. You remove the plastic IC cover, unbold the IC from the block, loosen the two couplers going to the end tanks, and it should lift right off. Be careful where you grab on to because those fins bend easily. With the intercooler removed, unbolt the coil packs and pull them off the plugs.

What plugs are you planning on using?
[/b]

Thanks for the info. I am planning on using copper plugs, maybe NGK. My car is hesitating a bit and I want to pull the plugs and look at them. I'll probably replace them whether they look bad or not.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am planning on using copper plugs, maybe NGK. My car is hesitating a bit and I want to pull the plugs and look at them. I'll probably replace them whether they look bad or not.
[/b]
Once you get around to pulling a plug, please let us know how they look (and include milage).

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is there a special tool required to pull the plugs? I want to make sure I have the tools before doing this.

I am switching to one step colder plugs to work with my AccessPort :) I live in Buffalo, NY which is at 600FT above sea level, and we have 93 Octane. It gets COLD here, and I don't know what "one step colder" really means. With the AP, it is recommended to use the new plugs, so that is why I'm swapping my originals out (I also have 35k miles on em...) Any concerns with one step colder plugs?

I've done the coil-pack "spring mod" already, so I've gotten as far as looking down and saying "Hey, Lookie... spark plugs!"

I'm not that technically savvy, but unbolting and bolting doesn't take much knowledge. Do the plugs just screw out and then you screw the new ones in? Do you have to lubricate/oil the new plugs at all (Remember my dad doing this when I was younger) when you put the new ones in? It can't be that difficult to do myself, right?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
QUOTE (Turbo6Girl @ Oct 9 2008, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1455820
1. Install is so easy a caveman could do it.
2. You need a spark plug socket
3. You may want to pick up anti-sieze to coat the plugs
4. You should :search:[/b]

I did use the :search:

How do you think I found this thread from a while ago? LOL

Sadly, I did not realize there was a sticky. :( I'm gonna go sit in the corner...

Oh... wait, someone please answer my weather question and one-step colder plugs. :)

<3
CB

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The heat range of a spark plug has nothing to do with weather. Please see this link.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
QUOTE (Clean Baldy @ Oct 9 2008, 02:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1455824
I did use the :search:

How do you think I found this thread from a while ago? LOL

Sadly, I did not realize there was a sticky. :( I'm gonna go sit in the corner...

Oh... wait, someone please answer my weather question and one-step colder plugs. :)

<3
CB[/b]
the weather or ambient temp has no relation to spark plug temp rating

1 step colder Denso is what you want

·
Registered
400 Posts

Come on turbo6girl

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Listen to Whoosh. He is all-knowing :bowdown: and will most likely not lead you to do something that makes your car go Zoom-Zoom-boom!

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Whoosh -

Why would a stock to nearly stock car need to drop down one step colder?

OP -

You can use copper plugs if you want, but be aware they will have a shorter life than an iridium plug like the MS6 comes with stock. You can check out the Autolite XP's for a direct replacement around $6 plug, but they need to be gapped.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
QUOTE (Insane @ Oct 9 2008, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1455837
Whoosh -

Why would a stock to nearly stock car need to drop down one step colder?[/b]
Colder spark plugs remove heat quicker which reduces the chance of detonation. You will read and hear that you only need these colder ratings if you have performance mods...but the fact is your stock car is already a performance tweaked platform and responds well to the colder plug
especially if you have a car with an intake and tuner which is stock to me

I run 2 steps colder now and can't say enough good things about the change

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Thanks for clarifying Ron.

:)

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
I see SU is selling the NGK one step colder plugs, but its gapped at .44". Should we gap it to .32"?...oh also, are the Denso a better part or just get the 1 step colder NGK plugs?...they seem to be matching on the price....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts