Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one else tell me why mazda made it so difficult to change the oil on this car? I mean realy a giant pan that you need to remove just to get to the drain plug and the filter. and the filter way do they make iot a cartridge No really way is it better ? Cuz it sure as sh&t aint easier at all. Your comments or a how to on this please.

PS I don't know if I sould Have posted this somwhere else but I do want A how to.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Can any one else tell me why mazda made it so difficult to change the oil on this car? I mean realy a giant pan that you need to remove just to get to the drain plug and the filter. and the filter way do they make iot a cartridge No really way is it better ? Cuz it sure as sh&t aint easier at all. Your comments or a how to on this please.
PS I don't know if I sould Have posted this somwhere else but I do want A how to.
[/b]
I actually think the large under cover is a good idea. Keeps the bottom of the engine clean and dry. Ever work under a car right after driving through snow and slush?

Here a good write-up on Mazda 6 Tech:
Oil change writeup
It's for the Mazda6i, but pretty much everything is the same for the MS6.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the panel and cartridge type filter add another 5 minutes on an otherwise normal oil change. not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I actually think the large under cover is a good idea. Keeps the bottom of the engine clean and dry. Ever work under a car right after driving through snow and slush?

Here a good write-up on Mazda 6 Tech:
Oil change writeup
It's for the Mazda6i, but pretty much everything is the same for the MS6.
[/b]
I would venture to say that the pan serves an even more important function than just to keep the bottom of the engine and tranny clean.

The pan is smooth and flat. Why? To improve airflow under the car, especially in the area of the engine compartment which is full of big aerodynamic depressions and obstructions. These create severe turbulence and increase drag. So, at the very least the pan is reducing some drag, and possibly helping to make airflow more consistent entering the grille into the engine compartment and then out. I wouldn't venture to say it reduces lift or increases downforce though, as the car sits too high and there aren't the other devices, such as sideskirts and rear diffuser which are needed as well.

Many modern cars are incorporating this, and every recent supercar incorporates careful underbody design (with pans like this), to minimize drag and reduce lift or increase downforce. That's how the Enzo did it without any big wings or spoilers.

I didn't find it that much of a bother to take off and put back on, and I did it lying on my back with the car jacked up a few inches. If it really bothers you, try leaving it off, and see if there is any effect.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes the bottom cover is to help with drag and turbulence, it only takes a few mins take off.
I dont know why in the hell Mazda went with the spin on filter, probably to make more money on oil changes for Mazda stealerships. I went to jiffylube this morning actually, and the first thing the guy says, "sorry we cant do newer mazdas, we dont have the filters, or the special tool" Fking mazda.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know why the panel is under there that is not why I’m mad. Why not just put a little access hatch with one screw on it, that is all that need be done. I had a 2001 S-10 ZR2 pickup that came from the factory with carbon fiber skid plates and there was an accses hatch on that to change the oil. Mazda is just trying to make it hard for the customers to work on there own cars that is the only thing that I can come up with. So stop telling why the plate is there and start telling me why it is such a bad design.

The filter thing is just to be F’ing stupid there is no need for that kind of filter. And if there is someone Who Knows why that is the filter, please post.

·
Registered
919 Posts
There must be some logic to having that stupid cartridge on there. It should have been the easy spin on filter, like the V-6. The only minor problem with that is getting trying to get the filter out around the manifold without spilling the oil.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes the bottom cover is to help with drag and turbulence, it only takes a few mins take off.
I dont know why in the hell Mazda went with the spin on filter, probably to make more money on oil changes for Mazda stealerships. I went to jiffylube this morning actually, and the first thing the guy says, "sorry we cant do newer mazdas, we dont have the filters, or the special tool" Fking mazda.
[/b]
Who wants jiffy lube to do there oil change any way. This a good thing they dont have our filters it will help people from getting there cars fuc#ed up. knew many guys that worked there and every day there was a new horror story from them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts