Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
so the dealer told me today that my powersteering fluid looks "dirty" and they can change it for me for 80 bucks. me being cheap and a DIYer, i am not going to go that route unless i absolutely have to. has anyone changed their powersteering fluid? also is the powersteering fluid the same as the transmission fluid in the 6 (i have a 2003)?
thanks
jhilton

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
hey guys
so the dealer told me today that my powersteering fluid looks "dirty" and they can change it for me for 80 bucks. me being cheap and a DIYer, i am not going to go that route unless i absolutely have to. has anyone changed their powersteering fluid? also is the powersteering fluid the same as the transmission fluid in the 6 (i have a 2003)?
thanks
jhilton
[/b]
I won't say the PS fluid is the same as Dextron ATX fluid in the Mazda6, because I honestly don't know.

However, I've changed my PS fluid on multiple cars with a turkey baster. Suck out as much bad fluid as possible, replace with good. Drive around. Repeat until clean.

You may want to start with inexpensive fluid and then use the expensive fluid (I normally have used Mobil 1 ATX in previous cars) as it gets pretty clean. You will need a good couple of quarts with this method.

EDITED: Placement of my fluid of choice moved for clarity. I did not mean to refer to Mobil 1 as a cheap fluid.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
It uses Dexron ATF-III, since you can't get ATF-II anymore (Or at least nowhere I have seen) any cheap, off the shelf ATF will work to help you clean out the old stuff before you put expensive fluid in like Redline, Mobil1 or Royal Purple.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I highly recommend changing your P/S fluid. The stock fluid from my car was dark after only about 25,000 miles. Just follow ZoomZoomDiva's instructions. Put the old fluid into a clear bottle and repeat the process until it looks like the new fluid. Plan on using about 2 quarts.

I used Mercon V. It made my steering wheel a bit easier to turn than with the stock fluid. It's been over 20k miles since I did this, and I'm still happy with the Merc V.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a pretty cut and dry job. i have to admit that i completely overlooked this job. i change my oil and everything else with better than OEM parts and here i am with 70K miles on my car and havent done the PS fluid.....crap :blush: . thanks for the help!
jhilton

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
jhilton
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing