Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says every 5000 miles (as often as 3,000 for "bad" conditions). I hear some members changing as soon as 3000. some users that take the fully synthetic actually wait to 7500 before changing. that seems way too long IMO. I'm sure its more important when the car's young to use the SAME oil, but anyone have experience in both situations? I changed the oil at 3000 and the oil looked pretty bad. Also, is it worth the $ to buy the K&N filters over the factory filters?

I'd figure i'd post this in the Newbie section cause this could have a simple answer.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well... Yes and NO and yes and no

Or was that No then yes I forget

Bascially you can run dyno oil for 5k with out a problem as long as your not beating your car to death.

You can go much longer if you use synthetic, it does not break down as fast or as bad as regular oil. 7500 is nothing to a good synth oil, heck if your nice to your car dyno oil will go 7500. And you can buy whatever filter makes you happy. Some people love the K and N, but I havnt seen anything that really proves it is better than the others.

Use synth oil, whichever one you think tastes best, and go to 7500 miles, your pocket book and car will love you. BTW once your out of warrenty you can go past 7500 miles and still be ok.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... Yes and NO and yes and no

Or was that No then yes I forget

Bascially you can run dyno oil for 5k with out a problem as long as your not beating your car to death.

You can go much longer if you use synthetic, it does not break down as fast or as bad as regular oil. 7500 is nothing to a good synth oil, heck if your nice to your car dyno oil will go 7500. And you can buy whatever filter makes you happy. Some people love the K and N, but I havnt seen anything that really proves it is better than the others.

Use synth oil, whichever one you think tastes best, and go to 7500 miles, your pocket book and car will love you. BTW once your out of warrenty you can go past 7500 miles and still be ok.
[/b]
how does the mobil 1 ful syn taste? its ok to switch this early to full syn? (my car's got about 7k on it) I used the mobil 1 and then 2nd oil change i went to castrol partial blend cause i didnt know if i was making the change too early. I dont beat down on it at all RIGHT NOW. but i do plan on having this car for a long time. whats your advice?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
how does the mobil 1 ful syn taste? its ok to switch this early to full syn? (my car's got about 7k on it) I used the mobil 1 and then 2nd oil change i went to castrol partial blend cause i didnt know if i was making the change too early. I dont beat down on it at all RIGHT NOW. but i do plan on having this car for a long time. whats your advice?
[/b]
Go back to full syn - it's not too early and semi-syn is a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
If you really want to know how far you can go with a particular oil, use a scientific method: Do an UOA.

I changed my oil at 7500 miles not just from guessing. I did several UOA already and found that synthetic oil can handle this interval with no problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you really want to know how far you can go with a particular oil, use a scientific method: Do an UOA.

I changed my oil at 7500 miles not just from guessing. I did several UOA already and found that synthetic oil can handle this interval with no problem.
[/b]

Im not exactly sure what UOA is, I searched but gave up looking. I did come across a thread and you said you use German Castrol, which is 0w-30 oil. Why change from the 5w-20 and i'm a little concerned now knowing i changed the oil at 3000 with mobil 1 full syn and at 6900 to the Castrol partial blend. My stupid ass didnt read up before i did it. I know that changing oil back and forth its not good. I've only got 7200 now, should switch back now to mobil 1 (i plan on staying with this) before the castrol completely sets in? if so should i also replace the filter?

Sounds like a weird situation any i appreciate the feedback...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go to Bobistheoilguy.com and check out huge information database on used oil analysis.
[/b]
Now I understand. Fortunately there's enough threads for me to be confident with the 5000 change with mobil 1. My question now is should I wait 3000 and change back or do it now with just 300. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
There are many UOA for Mobil1 at BITOG forum. Mobil1 can handle 7500 miles with no problem.

If you want, do an oil change and put Mobil1. At 5000 miles, change the oil and do an UOA. You'll find that the oil is still good and the lab will tell you to go farther. After that, adjust your interval according to the lab recommendation.

If you want to do UOA, click here

·
Registered
71 Posts
this is in the newbie section so i figure i can ask a stupid question: you're all talking about oil changes every 3000-5000 miles. here in the uk the service and oil change interval on my 2004 1.8l i4 6 is 12,500 miles. and that's using 15w-40 semi-synthetic oil. why the big difference?

·
Registered
436 Posts
delete

·
Registered
71 Posts
delete
[/b]
no, it's petrol. these are the engines available in the uk for the 6:

displacement (bhp)
1.8 (118)
2.0 (139)
2.0 (144)
2.3 (163)
2.3t (256) - turbo, mps only
2.0d (134) - diesel
2.0d (140) - diesel

mine's the lame one :)

edit: by the time i wrote that, the comment i was quoting got changed to "delete". the original question was whether my car had a diesel engine.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
um, miles. from right there where i said miles :huh:
[/b]
just making sure since you guys use km overthere.

Well, I really don't know why they recommend 12500 miles for oil change interval using semi-synthetic. That's rather risky. I can understand if they recommend that interval using full synthetic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
just making sure since you guys use km overthere.
[/b]
do we? that's the first i've heard about it! :p

Well, I really don't know why they recommend 12500 miles for oil change interval using semi-synthetic. That's rather risky. I can understand if they recommend that interval using full synthetic.
[/b]
hmm. it's just had it's second annual (25000 mile) service where they did an oil change and put in 5w30 synthetic. which is weird cos a couple of months ago when i called the same dealership to ask what oil they use in 6's, they told me 15w40 semi. the manual says you can use either.

oh well. i'll keep checking the level every now and then as usual, but will keep a close eye on the oil colour after the next few thousand miles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Some of the Euro manufacturers have extended oil change recommendations from factory for their North American cars. Like BMW.

But otherwise, there may be several reasons for the difference in oil change intervals. Here's my theories, all of which could actually be me talking out my ass: :nana:

1) In NA, we use SAE/ILSAC standards for oil performance. In Europe, they use ACEA standards -- so the oil is NOT the same. There's been a push for extended oil changes in Europe for years, it's an environmental thing. I think this has lead to more widespread use of synthetic than in NA, where a majority of people still use a dino based oil.

2) There may be differences in driving habits. In NA, people will drive a half block down to the Kwik-E-Mart -- perhaps in Europe, they'll walk instead? Short trips are tough on the oil and the engine.

3) Differences in tuning. In NA, we generally get ripped off by having to follow the clown music that is CARB rules. That means for instance, cats have to get up to operating temp in 60 seconds, AND warrantied cat life is up to 100,000 miles. Because of this, OEM tuning in NA tends to be rich, especially during warmup period after starting. Running rich means greater fuel dilution of the oil .... and short trips means that the fuel/water is never burned out of the crankcase... meaning, less lubricity and a propensity to become acidic.

4) Cultural differences. People in NA still believe that your car will blow up if you don't change the oil at 3000 miles. Also in NA, everybody wants their car to last 400,000 miles -- so change that oil already! In Europe (at least, on the continent) it becomes difficult and expensive to keep old cars on the road due to strict government regulations and inspections. So, who cares if the engine only lasts 150,000 miles? You'll be buying a new car anyways, so don't bother with that oil change.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more. In NA, we have to worry about the crap that is CAFE. This means, we get 5w20 as a recommended weight. In Europe I believe that they are runing 5w30.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some of the Euro manufacturers have extended oil change recommendations from factory for their North American cars. Like BMW.
But otherwise, there may be several reasons for the difference in oil change intervals. Here's my theories, all of which could actually be me talking out my ass: :nana:

1) In NA, we use SAE/ILSAC standards for oil performance. In Europe, they use ACEA standards -- so the oil is NOT the same. There's been a push for extended oil changes in Europe for years, it's an environmental thing. I think this has lead to more widespread use of synthetic than in NA, where a majority of people still use a dino based oil.

2) There may be differences in driving habits. In NA, people will drive a half block down to the Kwik-E-Mart -- perhaps in Europe, they'll walk instead? Short trips are tough on the oil and the engine.

3) Differences in tuning. In NA, we generally get ripped off by having to follow the clown music that is CARB rules. That means for instance, cats have to get up to operating temp in 60 seconds, AND warrantied cat life is up to 100,000 miles. Because of this, OEM tuning in NA tends to be rich, especially during warmup period after starting. Running rich means greater fuel dilution of the oil .... and short trips means that the fuel/water is never burned out of the crankcase... meaning, less lubricity and a propensity to become acidic.

4) Cultural differences. People in NA still believe that your car will blow up if you don't change the oil at 3000 miles. Also in NA, everybody wants their car to last 400,000 miles -- so change that oil already! In Europe (at least, on the continent) it becomes difficult and expensive to keep old cars on the road due to strict government regulations and inspections. So, who cares if the engine only lasts 150,000 miles? You'll be buying a new car anyways, so don't bother with that oil change.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more. In NA, we have to worry about the crap that is CAFE. This means, we get 5w20 as a recommended weight. In Europe I believe that they are runing 5w30.
[/b]
Wow, very well put. That would be the logical explanation. I assumed 5w-20 and 5w-30 was the same stuff, just a bit thinner. Now we know... Don't buy a used car from europe!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow, very well put. That would be the logical explanation. I assumed 5w-20 and 5w-30 was the same stuff, just a bit thinner. Now we know... Don't buy a used car from europe!!!
[/b]
Well.... I wouldn't go that far. Remember the bit about "lotsa gub'ment inspections and regulations". In Denmark (my wife is Danish, so I get to hear all about this stuff) you need a yearly inspection of your car -- and something like rust bubbles in the wheel wells will fail you. In North America, there's no such problem with driving a rust bucket piece of junk. I'd say that each market has it's own problems.

And as for 5w30 vs 5w20: 5w20 is fine for protecting your engine. In some ways, it is superior to 5w30 since Ford's (and Honda's) specs which cover 5w20 are MUCH tougher than the usual SAE/ILSAC requirements. However, the big thing that people talk about is this thing called HTHS, which is a measure of the oil's behaviour in a high temp, high shear environment like in a bearing. The 5w30 is usually higher, meaning the oil film is tougher. Some ACEA specs called for a pretty high HTHS rating, when extending oil changes.

I am not advocating that 5w30 is better than 5w20. I guess the point was that oils in Europe and North America are not necessarily the same, so we can't directly translate things like oil change intervals.

EDIT: spelling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts