Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just changed my oil today and it was a PITA.
i bought the oil cap wrench that should work,but it kept slipping .
i had to do a ghetto rig to get the damn canister cap off.
how does everyone else change their oil?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Pussy. J/k it's really easy. Did you buy the Mazda oil cap wrench from the dealer, or from Wally world? Makes all the difference. Even with a strap wrench I had no problems. I have never changed oil on anything that I would call a pain in the ass. Just a "WTF where they thinking on the filter placement".

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I agree on the PITA thing. I now have three oil filter wrenches since two of 'em wouldn't work. Even the 74mm oil filter socket wouldn't work until I combined it with a strap wrench.

Just a reminder why I pay someone to do it. $21 at the dealer up here. I paid more than that doing it myself!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will mazda sell the wrench to you or do you have to know someone at the
dealership to buy one?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Eh, I just use a big pair of pliers :huh:

I have bought a couple of the tools that supposedly fit it, but they were slightly off, and the way the cap is plastic, and slightly rounded on the edges, the things I have slide right off, getting no grip at all :(

I read somewhere that mazda doesn't sell them directly... I may be wrong, just what I read. I've seen some online, but they seem eternally "Out of stock". So.... I'll just scratch up the cap until I find the tool, then buy a new cap and all will be good :)

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Eh, I just use a big pair of pliers [/b]
This is exactly how the L3 engines get destroyed. If you squeeze the cap with pliers and twist, micro cracks occur in the plastic.

Get enough fractures + 90 psi oil pressure...guess what happens?

It is CRITICAL that you DO NOT USE PLIERS to remove the PLASTIC cap.

Either buy the proper tool, or get your oil changed at the dealer. I can not over emphasize this.
http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2236

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is exactly how the L3 engines get destroyed. If you squeeze the cap with pliers and twist, micro cracks occur in the plastic.

Get enough fractures + 90 psi oil pressure...guess what happens?

It is CRITICAL that you DO NOT USE PLIERS to remove the PLASTIC cap.

Either buy the proper tool, or get your oil changed at the dealer. I can not over emphasize this.
http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2236
[/b]
Yay!! They are back in stock! I think that's the site that I checked before, they have limited stock, I got my order in :)

I agree crossbow, I try to be really careful, and right now, I've only changed my oil 3 times so far, it only has minor abraisions on the cap. But what you say still makes me nervous, when I put my CAI on this weekend, I'll double check it and make sure it doesn't have too many scratches or cracks on it.

EDIT: Well at least I thought I did, I put in all my info and it won't let me confirm the order :(

EDIT2: You've got me nervous now :tear: I don't want to hurt it....

·
Registered
391 Posts
It's not worth the risk. If you can't find a source for the tool, I'd take it to the dealers. I'm that serious. That plastic cap can not take any abuse whatsoever. It really doesn't take much.
[/b]
I'll take your advice, I finally got my order through, and will replace the cap my next oil change, if not sooner. :yesnod:

EDIT: By the way, the guys at Mazdastuff.com are great !!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
They have that same tool at Napa for under $5. 74mm oil filter socket or something like that.
[/b]
That's the one I tried I believe, it had 1 or 2 too many flutes, which made it have a pretty bad fit... it just kept sliding around, I couldn't get it to work :(

I found one at Advanced Auto Parts too, but it was the same way.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I used one of those 6 in 1 orange oil filter wrenches. Probably old as hell though, cus i just found it in the garage. But it worked. My major problem was that my splash gaurd got f'ed up. One of the holes where the screws goes completely busted off.. the entire surround around the screw hole snapped.. so now i have a 3/4 inch whole there. DAMN IT!

p.s

When i went for a test drive. 70 degrees out. I noticed my car shifted smoother with full synthetic Mobil 1 oil. Would that just be in my head? Why would oil make my car feel as if it shifts better? Hmmm.. either way. I noticed a different in the engine running smoother also.

Great investment. Only problem.. 5.50 a quart!! all Wally World. They didnt sell it in 5 quart containers.. damn.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I did the conversion as well. Makes it much much easier and it's cheaper. :)
[/b]
How is this done? Just use regular oil filter (canister) or is it something else???
Thanks..........

·
Registered
922 Posts
How is this done? Just use regular oil filter (canister) or is it something else???
Thanks..........
[/b]
for the NA 2.3 you just need to buy the 2.0L oil filter housing. as i know it bolts right up to the 2.3L motor perfectly and accepts a spin on filter instead of the catridge... there's a write up and how to at mazda6tech.com on the front page...

double check that it is compatible with your car seeing as how you have a speed6.... you might want to stay with the cartridge. i've always been under the impression that catridge filters are more efficient than spin on's... i dunno..

Does the factory turboed 2.3 also use a cartridge?
[/b]
i'm almost 100% sure they do... same as the NA 2.3L

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
14 Participants
Crash11
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing