Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like a complete newbie, I failed to realize there was a washer on the transmission fluid drain plug until after I had re-installed the bolt and filled the fluid up.

Is this bad? Or will I be ok?

I figure I'll see if it's leaking, and if so, drain the fluid, replace the washer, and put my old--although only a day or two old--synthetic tranny fluid back in.

Thanks,
CL

·
Registered
578 Posts
So like a complete newbie, I failed to realize there was a washer on the transmission fluid drain plug until after I had re-installed the bolt and filled the fluid up.

Is this bad? Or will I be ok?

I figure I'll see if it's leaking, and if so, drain the fluid, replace the washer, and put my old--although only a day or two old--synthetic tranny fluid back in.

Thanks,
CL
I believe that is a crush washer used to create a seal between the plug and the transmission. It will likely leak without it. If you are going to wait to put it back on, I would closely monitor the fluid level and check for leaks frequently. Draining the fluid, reinstalling the washer and plug, and filling the tranny back up is definitely the best course of action though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that is a crush washer used to create a seal between the plug and the transmission. It will likely leak without it. If you are going to wait to put it back on, I would closely monitor the fluid level and check for leaks frequently. Draining the fluid, reinstalling the washer and plug, and filling the tranny back up is definitely the best course of action though.
[/b]
Wonderful....What exactly is a crush washer?

Am I correct in assuming I can just re-use the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about MTX or ATX? V6 or I4?
[/b]

2004 MTX V6....

I drove it around for about 10 miles. Afterwards, I checked the drain plug area--no leakage....yet...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Wonderful....What exactly is a crush washer?

Am I correct in assuming I can just re-use the tranny fluid?
[/b]
A crush washer is similar to a gasket except that it is made of some type of metal alloy rather than rubber. It forms a seal because it can compress a little bit like a gasket, but it also prevents the stripping of threads like a typical washer. I've read different opinions on whether or not the crush washer is significant. My opinion, since it came like that from the factory, there must be a reason it's there.

As long as you drain the fluid into a clean container, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it again.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
On mine, I remember that the crush washer was still stuck to the side of the transmission pan after I removed the drain plug. So I left it alone. No leakage either.

·
Registered
578 Posts
On mine, I remember that the crush washer was still stuck to the side of the transmission pan after I removed the drain plug. So I left it alone. No leakage either.
[/b]
I believe I encountered the same scenario. It never came off so I didn't have to think about it.

Some people say that you should replace the crush washer each time you remove the drain plug (manufacturer recommendation), but I don't think it's necessary unless it's rusted and/or you notice leaking. I've change the MTX oil in a number of vehicles and have reused the washer on all occasions. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe I encountered the same scenario. It never came off so I didn't have to think about it.

Some people say that you should replace the crush washer each time you remove the drain plug (manufacturer recommendation), but I don't think it's necessary unless it's rusted and/or you notice leaking. I've change the MTX oil in a number of vehicles and have reused the washer on all occasions. Never had any problems.
[/b]
I'm kinda surprised it came off too--I wasnt thinking about it until I was cleaning up the pan of oil and saw it laying in the bottom.

Are the drain and fill plugs the same size?

I think I'll take out the fill plug, then take out the drain plug and as quickly as possible shove the fill plug--with washer!--back into the drain plug hole and tighten it. Hopefully I can do it quick enough to only loose a quart or so of fluid. And if thats the case, I have a quart and a half of unused tranny fluid I can add back in. Otherwise, its gonna bother me to keep checking for leaks.

On a side note, the tranny shifts way smoother :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Btw the crush washers are about 0.25 - 0.35 cents each. You can buy a bag of 5-6 for less then a few dollars.
[/b]
Always good to know. Probably worth replacing the next time around.

They were more expensive for my last car and pretty difficult to find. Even the Nissan dealer had to order them. Not worth the hassle at the time. Although, I didn't look to see if the local auto parts store had a generic replacement (makes too much sense now) because everyone I asked said it was a dealer only part.
I'm kinda surprised it came off too--I wasnt thinking about it until I was cleaning up the pan of oil and saw it laying in the bottom.

Are the drain and fill plugs the same size?

I think I'll take out the fill plug, then take out the drain plug and as quickly as possible shove the fill plug--with washer!--back into the drain plug hole and tighten it. Hopefully I can do it quick enough to only loose a quart or so of fluid. And if thats the case, I have a quart and a half of unused tranny fluid I can add back in. Otherwise, its gonna bother me to keep checking for leaks.

On a side note, the tranny shifts way smoother :)
[/b]
I'm not certain, but from what I remember, they appeared to be the same size. You could always call a dealer to get part numbers to see if they match. Or maybe someone else knows for sure?

I have a feeling that if you remove the fill plug and then remove the drain plug, most of the oil will drain before you can get it back in.

What did you replace the factory fill with?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Always good to know. Probably worth replacing the next time around.

They were more expensive for my last car and pretty difficult to find. Even the Nissan dealer had to order them. Not worth the hassle at the time. Although, I didn't look to see if the local auto parts store had a generic replacement (makes too much sense now) because everyone I asked said it was a dealer only part.

I'm not certain, but from what I remember, they appeared to be the same size. You could always call a dealer to get part numbers to see if they match. Or maybe someone else knows for sure?

I have a feeling that if you remove the fill plug and then remove the drain plug, most of the oil will drain before you can get it back in.

What did you replace the factory fill with?
[/b]

Mobile 1 75W-90....

I was going to go with Redline but after seeing the thread in the MTX section, I decided to go with something else. I used Mobile 1 75W-90 in my Firebirds rear-diff with no problems...

The synthetic tranny fluid in conjunction with the Mazdaspeed shifter has made a world of difference!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Slv6sPitt,

It helps to bring a photo of the item with you. Some part's departments know exactly what you're talking about...but some just stand there and blink at you. A nice photo of the plug + washer helps a bit.

I'd dig up the parts number, but it probably changed again.
[/b]
Yet another excellent point! :D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just picked up my crush washers from the dealership. Part number 99564-1400 contains 5 washers in the bag. I picked up 2 bags just in case.
[/b]
It never hurts to be prepared with a lifetime's supply of crush washers. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
5 Participants
Slv6sPitt
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing