Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a new purchase of a Mazda-6 (or VW-GLI/DSG). On my current car (Nissan), I use manual shift mode quite a bit. With the Nissan (and VW), the shift "direction" is the same ie forward=upshift & back=downshift. As you know, the Mazda is the reverse of this (ala BMW). Of course, I could re-learn this I guess, but I'd prefer to not retrain the muscle memory and just continue like I always have.

Q: Anyone know if there is any under-console electrical connector tied to the shift mechanism that I might theoretically reverse to change this? For example, swapping the connector if it goes on both ways? Failing that, a less desirable option would be a re-splice but I might even consider that. I am not too concerned with any other vehicle drivers being confused by the change, at least until resale time, where I could hopefully reverse the change.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT, 1.4" drop, OVTuned, Injen CAI, Thrush Exhaust
115 Posts
I doubt you could change it.
Also, I would consider it the correct way as It matches the pattern used in sequential race transmissions, which is what our manual mode is most comparable to, where pull back for up & forward for down (also like airplanes).

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I doubt you could change it.
Also, I would consider it the correct way as It matches the pattern used in sequential race transmissions, which is what our manual mode is most comparable to, where pull back for up & forward for down (also like airplanes).
No it doesnt? Show me one where you pull back to upshift.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT, 1.4" drop, OVTuned, Injen CAI, Thrush Exhaust
115 Posts
No it doesnt? Show me one where you pull back to upshift.
Apparently sequential transmission exist going both directions, just the only ones I have seen/heard of were pull for up shift.
Check this video for a kit to convert manual transmission: Sequential shifter in car (S1 Sequential)
"...shift pattern to the simple pull back to shift up and push forwards to shift down motion of a sequential box. "

·
Registered
2015 Mazda6 Touring MTX
15 Posts
Sequential gearboxes can be set up both ways, and even a combination of both (similar to a standard H pattern). The logic of pull for upshifts, push for downshifts has to do with inertia; when accelerating, you are forced backwards into the seat, and pulling a gear lever towards you works with the force you're feeling. Similarly, when braking you'll be pushed towards the steering wheel, so pushing the gear lever is again going with the force already being applied to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts