Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is normal, so I'm asking everyone.
I'm on the freeway going say....75 in 5th gear, I put it into neutral for no reason, and i want to change it back to 5th. I'm going about 70 now, and when i engage into 5th, its kind of grinding to engage it.

am I stepping on clutch too light, too hard, or is there something wrong?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well, it's probably that you're getting lazy and not pressing down on the clutch all the way. make sure you're stepping on the clutch all the way.

Do this in a parking lot/garage. Start the car in neautral, step on the clutch all the way and try putting it into reverse. If it goes, you're good. Now step on the clutch a little less, see if it goes into reverse.

By the time you try and it won't go into reverse, that is when the clutch starts to "engage". Now, next time you shift from N->5, step on the clutch atleast that much!

Bob

If you think this is too high, you can try adjusting it. here http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=35390

Edit: If you're putting it into N, when you put it back into gear blip the gas a bit before stepping on the clutch pedal so everything is spinning at the same speed when it engages.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you ARE pushing far enough on the clutch, you might have a worn out synchro. Regardless, shifting w/out the clutch depressed fully will stress the syncro.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regardless, shifting w/out the clutch depressed fully will stress the syncro.
[/b]
I thought it was good to not use the clutch to go from gear > neutral? blip the gas and shift to neutral.

·
Registered
487 Posts
You might save a little clutch wear by yanking the gearbox and not clutching, but the chance of breaking something far outweighs the cost of a little clutch wear (granted you shift like a sane person)

Anyway, pressing the clutch fully fix the problem?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My 6 is brand new and it does that as well, so I don't think it's the synchros wearing out. It's pretty slight, usually happens when I shift from 4-5. It's pretty hard not to fully disengage the clutch in the 6, since it fully disengages about 2-3 inches before reaching the end of the pedal travel. I just thought it was normal so I don't worry about it. It also only happens when the car is moving, if I try it when I'm stopped it doesn't do that.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried it once on my drive today and fully press clutch = no grind. I guess i'm not used to pressing it alllllllll the way down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts