Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a question I been wanting to ask for a while. The MSP6 headlight has 4 bulbs...the low beams, the high beams, those halogens that go on when you turn on the dashboard lights and the mistery bulb which NEVER comes on. What is that for? Am I missing on something here?

Also, I like the look mazda tried by mixing the HIDs with the halogen bulbs just like mercedes-benz or BMW, but it annoys me that I dont see the HID's illumination...i see yellow :(

So I think I want to change those into HIDs...but when I read the manual, it said that due to complexity, the car should be brought to the dealer for bulb replacement, etc etc. For those that did it, how did you do it?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Alright, I have a question I been wanting to ask for a while. The MSP6 headlight has 4 bulbs...the low beams, the high beams, those halogens that go on when you turn on the dashboard lights and the mistery bulb which NEVER comes on. What is that for? Am I missing on something here?

Also, I like the look mazda tried by mixing the HIDs with the halogen bulbs just like mercedes-benz or BMW, but it annoys me that I dont see the HID's illumination...i see yellow :(

So I think I want to change those into HIDs...but when I read the manual, it said that due to complexity, the car should be brought to the dealer for bulb replacement, etc etc. For those that did it, how did you do it?
[/b]
Can't answer all your questions but for the headlights, there is one of the 4 that doesn't light up. I think it's the second position inwards from the outside, IIRC.

On other Mazda6 models, where they don't have fogs low down in the bumper, it's where the factory fog light would be. Since the foglights on the MS6 were moved down into the lower bumper valance this space is a dummy. There is no socket or opening in the back of the headlight assembly to add one, if that's your next question. It may be possible with much custom cutting and fabrication, but it would be easier (and prob cheaper) to just buy the headlight assembly with the built in fog and swap them for the MS6 assembly, if you want that spot to illuminate. There may be other differences, such as backing colour, in those other assemblies so research thoroughly first.

Ideally, because it's the higher up position, a driving light would be better in that location, as fogs are better mounted low down anyways.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
thnx man, that help me a lot...as for the HIDs. Do you have to go to the dealer? is it easy to install?
[/b]
Sorry, this is the area where I don't have any experience or answers. I found the original question a bit confusing too. For others that may be considering chiming in, do you mean you want to change out the stock HID bulbs for new HID bulbs that are a different color (say more bluish), or do you mean you want to put HIDs in place of the halogen hi-beams, so that both lo beam and hi beam are HIDs? Note: the lo-beams are HIDs, the highs are halogen.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
thnx man, that help me a lot...as for the HIDs. Do you have to go to the dealer? is it easy to install?
[/b]

What exactly are you asking?Do you want to replace the factory D2S low beam bulbs that are 4100k with an aftermarket D2S bulb that is a different color or do you want to upgrade the high beam H1's to an HID?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah I dont want to change the original HID beams, just the yellow ones next to them (i dont think its the hi-beams)...was just wondering how you install them, because in the manual it says you should go to a dealer.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think he's talking about the 194 bulbs (pretty sure thats the number) that are in the upper corner of the high beam reflector... And is on at the first click of the headlight switch...

You can try replacing this with an LED white or something... but I don't think it would be bright enough to work for most situations... I personally installed halos in my Housings... and removed these bulbs completely... The halos are a blueish color VERY similar to HID.. Better blue/white color than the HID's actually... and very bright...

Search around a bit.. you'll see pictures of some people with them... a very cool mod... PITA to do however...

This is a REALLY bad picture... I keep meaning to take a better one.. but as you can see.. they are bright... and good color =)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, those are the ones i am talking about, they look tight.

you got halos? i had halos on my last car (mazda3)...i had to take down the bumper, remove the headlights, bake them in the oven to loosen up the glue, open them, put the halos, the wiring etc...it was horrible but worth it...but aint gonna do that again...is that what you did?

how bout with the 194s? how did you intalled them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts