Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have started to rack up a few kilometers on my new 6 and I would like to change the ATX fluid. I have read all about drain and fills and flushing and it seems both are done at relatively lengthy intervals. My plan was to just drain the fluid that I could from my ATX and then just top it up with 3L or 4L of new fluid every 12000km or 3 oil changes (I change the oil/filter every 4000km - Castrol GTX 5W20. If you guys know of any reason not to use this oil please let me know).

I know that a large amount of fluid is left in the TC and that because I'm not completely draining the fluid through a proper drain and fill or a flush would there be any negative effects? Should i bother draining and replacing in short intervals or use one of the other other 2 methods to replace all (or almost all) of the fluid at longer intervals?

oh ya, cost for the Mercon V from my dealer is about $20 for 4L and I'm not sure what ATX i have either but it's in a 2007 6i (Aisen-Warner maybe?).

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Since you write km, I assume you're in Canada?

But anyway, I do the drain/fill method when I change my engine oil (every 7500 miles). Might as well since I'm gonna be under the car.

Castrol GTX 5W-20 is a good oil. But if you want an excellent cheap oil, try finding Motorcraft 5W-20.

Regarding what ATX fluid to use, please look at your manual. Don't just assume it's Mercon V. Click here to read more.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the manual just to make sure before i went out and bought anything but didn't see anything I trusted at my local parts source so I ended up going to my dealer to get the fluid which was still pretty cheap.

And ya I live in Canada, just east of Toronto.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If the 2007 6i is the same as the 2006 6i ATX, your ATX is a true Mazda made ATX. Also, the ATX fluid is supposed to be lifetime. My dealership won't touch these transmission until after 50,000mi. Anything before that, they swap out for a new tranny and send the old one back to mazda for inspection.

TBH, I wouldnt touch that fluid until 50k in case a warranty event arises.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If the 2007 6i is the same as the 2006 6i ATX, your ATX is a true Mazda made ATX. Also, the ATX fluid is supposed to be lifetime. My dealership won't touch these transmission until after 50,000mi. Anything before that, they swap out for a new tranny and send the old one back to mazda for inspection.

TBH, I wouldnt touch that fluid until 50k in case a warranty event arises.[/b]
Sorry to bring up an old thread but does this hold true for the 06/07 models? What do others think?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Just take a look at the transmission fluid after about 20000 miles. If it's still pink, then it's still good. But on the other hand, if it's brown looking, then you know it's time to change it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but does this hold true for the 06/07 models? What do others think?[/b]
That is only true for the 06i+ ATX models.

Motorcraft FNR5 ATF is the stock fluid for the 6i ATX if you wan to continue using the same fluid. It is a Mazda M-V spec fluid, NOT mercon-v.

·
Registered
732 Posts
That is only true for the 06i+ ATX models.

Motorcraft FNR5 ATF is the stock fluid for the 6i ATX if you wan to continue using the same fluid. It is a Mazda M-V spec fluid, NOT mercon-v.[/b]
Okay, very good to know. Thank you. I do have the 2006 6i so that sounds good. I absolutely hate how all these car companies cannot get all these different ATF varieties straight. It does say ATF M-V so I thought right away Mercon V...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dealership told me Mercon-V[/b]
I have a 2006 which you have a 2005. I think the 06 model was when the change happened.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about8.html As you can see it seems that there was a difference transmission entirely put in the 2006 versus the 2005 model of the same car.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Okay, very good to know. Thank you. I do have the 2006 6i so that sounds good. I absolutely hate how all these car companies cannot get all these different ATF varieties straight. It does say ATF M-V so I thought right away Mercon V...[/b]

Is it the Motorcraft FNR5 fluid? If not, what does it say on the lable? The motorcraft fluid is the only M-V fluid I have been able to find so far and I assumed it was te stock fill.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Is it the Motorcraft FNR5 fluid? If not, what does it say on the lable? The motorcraft fluid is the only M-V fluid I have been able to find so far and I assumed it was te stock fill.[/b]
Well according to people above it is. I have yet to phone my dealer to find out for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts