Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I did a search but maybe I just can't find it. Is there a how to for changing the oil in a Speed6? Is it the same as the change oil for the 3.0 V6 on mazdatech? Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It will probably be more like an oil change for the 6i since the Speed6 is a 2.3L 4-Cyl. also. I'm not sure of what changes there are for the Speed6, but I think it has a larger oil pan or possibly oil pump. Actually there is some good info over on 6Tech. Looks like the same (6i) cartridge filter, but an oil cooler adaptor is added in along with some other goodies to improve lubrication and cooling... http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about4207.html

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's a cartridge filter like the 6i. You need to remove the lower engine cover ( 6 bolts I think). Remove the drain plug. Remove the cartridge. Replace the cartridge and special gaskets. I think there is a special tool to remove the cartridge retainer so as to avoid damaging it.

Basically it's a PITA. If not for the oil cooler, you could put the spin-on filter conversion on it.

I paid $80 to have a shop do the oil change w/ Mobil 1. I'm sure they used their shitty filter and did not use any special tools and did not replace the gaskets. Needless to say, I'm looking for a better solution.

Best bet is have the dealer do it or do it yourself with genuine Mazda filter and gaskets to have it done right.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought some filters from a mazda dealer so it should have all the o rings and gaskets correct?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

one suggestion..be sure to save all reciepts if your doing it yourself. and date them, and include milage. as if you have waranty issues, you will be thankful. ;)
[/b]

·
Registered
489 Posts
What happens if you don't change the O-rings? The new filter I bought had a slightly damaged outer O-ring, so I reused the old one.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
They can swell, start to leak, and possibly cause engine failure to lack of lubrication.

The oil pressure for a L3 engine is pretty high...anything anywhere that leaks is horribly bad.

Oil pressure for an L3 w/TC is 43-79.9 PSI at 3000 rpm's. You can lose alot of oil REALLY fast if you get a leak.

And guess what happens if it was caused by you improperly changing the filter...thats right, not covered under warranty :(.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
To Put it even simpler....Just pay the $30.00 to let the dealership do it.

You brought the Speed, you can atleast afford $30.00 every 5000 miles

·
Registered
922 Posts
man change your own oil.... seriously dont be scared of the big bad turbo motor... theres nothing special about it except the catridge filter.... and like sigma said..... just dont forget to replace the o-rings i think there are two

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
HawaiianEagle
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing