Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I changed 2 coolant hoses on my Mazda6 2.2ltr diesel GT 2014 and now it seems the little black box they go to is now leaking... what is this little black box?
I rang the dealership and there systems were down but said it sounded like the heater.... personally I think it is way too small to be the heater... Please help. I will attach photos- all assistance is welcome 馃榾

Registered
A diesel wagon! We don't have one here, only the gasoline variant. I don't know what is that but this is what I'll do, I'll remove the hose and reinsert it making sure it is tight.

Rally Racer
A diesel wagon! We don't have one here, only the gasoline variant. I don't know what is that but this is what I'll do, I'll remove the hose and reinsert it making sure it is tight.
Yes, a 3rd gen Diesel wagon 馃槏

I am with archer on this one. It some happens that a little piece of old rubber gets stuck when the new hose is put on. I would take it back off and make sure both male and female mating surfaces are free from debris as well as checking the clamp is far enough down the fully seated hose.

Good luck, it is a beautiful machine.

Also nice to see Mr Two residing there in Queensland.

Registered

I am with archer on this one. It some happens that a little piece of old rubber gets stuck when the new hose is put on. I would take it back off and make sure both male and female mating surfaces are free from debris as well as checking the clamp is far enough down the fully seated hose.

Is your car an automatic? On a gasoline-powered third-generation (2.5 gasoline, in any case, and possibly 2.0 gasoline) if the car has an automatic - mounted at the front of the transaxle's case - is a heat-exchanger that cools the automatic transmission fluid using engine coolant. It is cylindrical by way of shape, and it has two coolant hoses connected to it: a cooler-running one, and a hotter running one.

Is that possibly what you are looking at? Also, regardless, it seems to me that the original comments about hose-residue being the cause of the leakage could have merit. Otherwise, does the heat exchanger body itself have a pin-hole leak?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is your car an automatic? On a gasoline-powered third-generation (2.5 gasoline, in any case, and possibly 2.0 gasoline) if the car has an automatic - mounted at the front of the transaxle's case - is a heat-exchanger that cools the automatic transmission fluid using engine coolant. It is cylindrical by way of shape, and it has two coolant hoses connected to it: a cooler-running one, and a hotter running one.

Is that possibly what you are looking at? Also, regardless, it seems to me that the original comments about hose-residue being the cause of the leakage could have merit. Otherwise, does the heat exchanger body itself have a pin-hole leak?
thank you all for taking the time to respond.
My car is the 2.2ltr twin turbo diesel variant and yes it is an automatic.
I did remove the hoses and thoroughly clean the points from debris- it looks like the leak is actually coming from the bottom of the little black box- where it joins in the 90 degree angle.
I鈥檓 off to find a suitable external sealant for now until I figure out what it is- won鈥檛 be putting anything through the actual cooling system as don鈥檛 want to clog it up.
Thank you !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks Drfeelgood,
I gave it a go, but have found it is actually from that box- will try and get on top of it this week.

Yes I do love her! She likes to get me into trouble though lol.
And Mr Two is a lot of fun!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks archerfish!
gave that a go to no success- back to the drawing board! May just have to bite the bullet and get her into Mazda . Thanks for the advice!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone! I have an update! The little black box is a coolant bypass! And it鈥檚 made of lovely flimsy plastic.
I have just ordered the upgraded metal pipe version should receive in the next couple of days.. while I was having a closer look the plastic pipe in which the bottom hose was clamped onto just literally crumbled. So lost all the coolant and will not be driving anywhere until this part arrives... thank you all for your assistance- if anyone has the same car I reccomend upgrading to the steel bypass system if you can!

Registered
Hi everyone! I have an update! The little black box is a coolant bypass! And it鈥檚 made of lovely flimsy plastic.
I have just ordered the upgraded metal pipe version should receive in the next couple of days.. while I was having a closer look the plastic pipe in which the bottom hose was clamped onto just literally crumbled. So lost all the coolant and will not be driving anywhere until this part arrives... thank you all for your assistance- if anyone has the same car I reccomend upgrading to the steel bypass system if you can! View attachment 243032 View attachment 243033
Thank you for posting! Did you get it from the dealership? If not, kindly post the link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts