Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Mazda6 in snowflake white pearl mica. Since the car already looks “shiny” from the pearl coat, will there be a noticeable if I get a ceramic coating and is it even worth it? I have seen a million different opinions and I want to make sure I’m making the right decision before committing to this huge financial investment. Thanks! (The picture added is when it is freshly detailed and clay bared, no ceramic of any kind yet)

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you plan on doing it yourself then yes I would recommend it. But paying $250+ for a ceramic coating done by a professional installer then no I would not recommend. I ceramic coated my 2016 6 GT with Adams graphene ceramic coating and it does keep the car nice and shiny for about 3 weeks before getting dusty and needing to be washed again(LA Area). Keep in mind ceramic coatings are not some magic formula that will hide scratches and swirl marks on your paint. That's what polishing is for but I would STAY AWAY from compounds as even those seem too abrasive for this super thin Mazda paint. Ceramic coating will keep your car looking cleaner for longer and will certainly make washing it a hell of a lot easier. I previously had P21S carnauba wax (highly recommend) but I needed something that would last a little longer (6 months) and that's when ceramic coating caught my attention. They advertise 7+ yr protection but only time will tell how long before needing to be reapplied. It took me around 8hrs from start to finish wash, clay, ceramic coat (no polishing) and I am very satisfied with the results. I paid around $100 for my ceramic kit it was really not difficult at all just very labor intensive. But no way I would pay $350 for ceramic coating as I've been quoted here in the LA area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you plan on doing it yourself then yes I would recommend it. But paying $250+ for a ceramic coating done by a professional installer then no I would not recommend. I ceramic coated my 2016 6 GT with Adams graphene ceramic coating and it does keep the car nice and shiny for about 3 weeks before getting dusty and needing to be washed again(LA Area). Keep in mind ceramic coatings are not some magic formula that will hide scratches and swirl marks on your paint. That's what polishing is for but I would STAY AWAY from compounds as even those seem too abrasive for this super thin Mazda paint. Ceramic coating will keep your car looking cleaner for longer and will certainly make washing it a hell of a lot easier. I previously had P21S carnauba wax (highly recommend) but I needed something that would last a little longer (6 months) and that's when ceramic coating caught my attention. They advertise 7+ yr protection but only time will tell how long before needing to be reapplied. It took me around 8hrs from start to finish wash, clay, ceramic coat (no polishing) and I am very satisfied with the results. I paid around $100 for my ceramic kit it was really not difficult at all just very labor intensive. But no way I would pay $350 for ceramic coating as I've been quoted here in the LA area.
I have a quote for $1000 for the coating and a full paint correction which is a lot. I am just not sure if I would be able to do it myself properly (don’t want to do more harm than good). I have a detailer that cleans and clays the car every 2 months so I guess I could do it myself after the next detail. Does polishing and a paint correction matter? Do you see the preexisting swirls since you didn’t polish?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It really is not all that different than waxing. Same concept apply/buff off. You just need adequate lighting but not in direct sunlight obviously. The only challenging part about applying the coating is that it can be difficult to see where you have applied the coating since it goes on clear with little to no trace of the product. It's not like carnauba wax which is easily visible like rubbing a stick of butter on your paint. As far as paint correction/polishing at the very least I would only try to minimize very light scratches/scuffs by hand but not with a DA polisher unless done by a professional detailer (with a paint depth gauge). Stay away from water sanding if you are trying to get rid of deep scratches. I cannot stress just how thin the paint is on these Mazdas. I've learned the hard way in the past when trying to get rid of a deep fender scratch only to find out I had burned through my clear coat. Swirl marks as still visible after ceramic coating but only under direct sunlight or if you shine a flashlight on the paint up close within 1ft of the paint. Other than that they are hardly visible on my sonic silver paint, probably would be no different on your white paint. Black or darker colors would be the complete opposite of course. For best results yes paint correction would be highly recommended but I would leave that to the professionals. Not surprised by the $1000 it can be a very labor intensive job depending on the condition of the paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It really is not all that different than waxing. Same concept apply/buff off. You just need adequate lighting but not in direct sunlight obviously. The only challenging part about applying the coating is that it can be difficult to see where you have applied the coating since it goes on clear with little to no trace of the product. It's not like carnauba wax which is easily visible like rubbing a stick of butter on your paint. As far as paint correction/polishing at the very least I would only try to minimize very light scratches/scuffs by hand but not with a DA polisher unless done by a professional detailer (with a paint depth gauge). Stay away from water sanding if you are trying to get rid of deep scratches. I cannot stress just how thin the paint is on these Mazdas. I've learned the hard way in the past when trying to get rid of a deep fender scratch only to find out I had burned through my clear coat. Swirl marks as still visible after ceramic coating but only under direct sunlight or if you shine a flashlight on the paint up close within 1ft of the paint. Other than that they are hardly visible on my sonic silver paint, probably would be no different on your white paint. Black or darker colors would be the complete opposite of course. For best results yes paint correction would be highly recommended but I would leave that to the professionals. Not surprised by the $1000 it can be a very labor intensive job depending on the condition of the paint.
Thank you so much for your response! It has really helped!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.