Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the lid on the compartment on top of the dash break? Mine broke a few weeks ago. The hinge on the right side broke off so now it looks at jacked up and half open. Plus, if I hit a bump hard enough the damn thing pops open completely. Kind of annoying really. I was wondering if anyone had this happen and what they did to fix it. Or mod it.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just curious if you ever found a solution to this, I have the same problem and haven't had any luck finding the part online anywhere...

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (SeeMeZoomZoom @ Oct 22 2009, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1610878
Has anyone had the lid on the compartment on top of the dash break? Mine broke a few weeks ago. The hinge on the right side broke off so now it looks at jacked up and half open. Plus, if I hit a bump hard enough the damn thing pops open completely. Kind of annoying really. I was wondering if anyone had this happen and what they did to fix it. Or mod it.[/b]
Some of those lids were made with artificial plastic. Mazda later rectified the problem and made the lids in genuine nearly-almost-real plastic.

P.S. Now you know why no one buys their cars (though, in all fairness, this could happen to a Subaru, Hyundai or Kia too--though people are buying those cars...).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone know the trick to pulling it out? I figured if I removed it I could try to fix it and save the ridiculous amount of money it costs to replace. Seems stuck in the corners pretty hard, and I didn't want to break anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. remove center console cupholder assy- just pulls- no tools
2. remove ashtray assy- also pulls out -no tools
3. remove radio assy/faceplate- you will see 2 screws after removing ashtray. ther is also a hidden screw that you must get out through the glovebox opening. be careful not to cut yourself on the sharp edges of thedash when getting to this screw. with 3 screws removed -GENTLY pry out on radio/faceplate assy. the whole center panel of dash will come out with the radio. do not bend or twist too much or you can break the circuit board.
4. once you are at this point- you will see the screws that hold the upper dash storage compt.

hope this helps,

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (jiminEcricket @ Feb 13 2010, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636888
1. remove center console cupholder assy- just pulls- no tools
2. remove ashtray assy- also pulls out -no tools
3. remove radio assy/faceplate- you will see 2 screws after removing ashtray. ther is also a hidden screw that you must get out through the glovebox opening. be careful not to cut yourself on the sharp edges of thedash when getting to this screw. with 3 screws removed -GENTLY pry out on radio/faceplate assy. the whole center panel of dash will come out with the radio. do not bend or twist too much or you can break the circuit board.
4. once you are at this point- you will see the screws that hold the upper dash storage compt.

hope this helps,[/b]

Sweet, thanks a lot. I was hoping it would be one of the parts that just popped out, but it helps knowing the specifics like this. I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (jiminEcricket @ Feb 13 2010, 09:43 PM)

Sweet, thanks a lot. I was hoping it would be one of the parts that just popped out, but it helps knowing the specifics like this. I'll give it a shot.
So did you run into any additional issues? Mine just broke and I am using this thread to fix it. Got my part ordered and hope to see it shipped sometime soon. I was just wondering if there were any problems you had encountered I could learn from on top of the info you were given.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed mine twice now...

Luckily mine broke at the peg the hinge piviots on. All I did was get a swivel drill bit and screw a small drywall screw right into where the hinge peg was. It has been working for about two years now. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine broke about two years ago and I rigged it to hold...and then it broke again. I have found the part by googling it (I think it was Mazdaparts.com) and installed it. Not tough to do. It took about a half hour and that is with constant interuption. There is another post on this and how to fix it somewhere...

I would recommend searching it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had sam problem with mine

took off the whole center to get the pocket out....tried to epoxy the hindge part that broke...had no luck with getting the epoxy to set....guess i will go to the dealer and order a replacement part

·
Registered
319 Posts
mine just broke yesterday. i came out from work and noticed that it was all crooked. the left spring loaded side where the lid pin goes into broke. i seriously only opened that f'n thing like 4 times since i bought the car new in 07. guess it musta been the heat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey guys, im new here, i have a 2003 6, i have the same issue, however when i went to the parts site the only color that would pull up was beige for my year...does the 06-08 black one from the link fit the 2003? i hate how cheaply made these mazdas are, in the same year my sun visor, middle lid console and driver seat broke, and im out of warranty

1 - 20 of 34 Posts