Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the center console, where the radio and A/C controls are, the color behind them is red right?
Can the color be changed? I saw a picture of the MPS M6 with this color being blue. Hopefully, itll be no problem to change the color.
Can someone with knowledge please help me out.
thanx
:D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Center Console color'

The bulbs shouldn't be too much trouble (if you have patience). But the part that could cause issues are the Information Readout Screen and the Gauge Cluster. Have no idea how you would change the color on those. It would look kind of dumb to have blue lighting for the center console but have red gauges and a red info screen.

I attached a picture of what I mean by the info screen...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I wouldn't be sure about it being replacable bulbs in the backlights. It may very well be LEDs - and that may involve welding.

Also if you try that - remember that different color LEDs have different voltage, which means you cannot simply replace one color with the other - you have consequences to take care of also.

Anyway, it shouldn't be impossible.

I was thinking about that blue also. Now that I've got mine, I've decided to keep the red - it's really, really cool!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

since Ive seen the picture again, Im reminded how good it looks.
even if it can be changed, Ill probably still keep it red.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

So, so, Applejax... Purple, well I don't know...:sarc

Also note that there ARE no purple LEDs - they simply do not exist. You'd have to paint white LEDs to get that. And white LEDs aren't cheap...

...if the light comes from LEDs that is...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Well, since you bring it up, the VW's are purple as are Hyundai if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
391 Posts

purple... ishhh

blue would be nice, but the red is very nice. Wait until you have your 6, you'll like it I'm sure (I know my first impression at night will give me shivers):hoho

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Well, since you bring it up, the VW's are purple as are Hyundai if I'm not mistaken.[/b]
Nope, they are blue.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

...Also note that there ARE no purple LEDs - they simply do not exist. You'd have to paint white LEDs to get that. And white LEDs aren't cheap...[/b]
There are UV Purple LEDs on the market...good luck getting them though.

Also they do make regular purple LEDs. Bivar makes them.

The Super Blue LEDs look more purple than blue anyway. I'm pretty sure that's what VW uses.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

There are no purple leds. It's an impossibility due to how LEDs work and at what wavelengths they can produce light.

However, since a few years back there are white LEDs and those can - ofcourse - by using painted plastic optics reproduce other colors too.

However, the white LEDs do not produce light within the entire visible spectrum, thus it is impossible to reproduce all colors. Anyway, there is a larger variety of colored LEDs than there used to be.

Disregarding that, there are no purple LEDs...;)

·
Registered
355 Posts

Thank you Steve, this one goes for trivia and also for Physics section. :)

But nobody knows what really makes the lights? Facts?
Has anyone opened his/her Mazda6 to bits an pieces? And could give us facts about the lights...

The biggest problem is ofcourse those displays, practivally impossible to replace those with blue ones UNLESS they will sell the blue display's for the MPS (since it comes with everything as blue) as a "blue dash kit". :) That has to be costy though with setups and everything...

Another interesting topic, which might get new turns in future.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by javah

as a "blue dash kit". :) That has to be costy though with setups and everything...

Another interesting topic, which might get new turns in future.[/b]
Yes - very, very interesting. If someone has the desire or license to reverse engineer the dash and display, we could have all kinds of cool stuff pop up. The dash kits may not only change lighting color, but could incorporate different displays! Maybe one with a standard DIN opening for an aftermarket radio that removes and replaces the factory radio information in the display!

I see a cool spot for a radar detector readout...:D
I see an audiophile setup with readouts for voltage, temperature, dB's...
I see lots and lots of possibilities...

Oh, it could be so much fun!

·
Registered
355 Posts

Drooling... :hoho

It would be fun to fix all that and more :D

No licensed for that though, and there might be some laws against some of the items on your list... For reason, not just to spoil our fun? ;)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

There are no purple leds. It's an impossibility due to how LEDs work and at what wavelengths they can produce light.

However, since a few years back there are white LEDs and those can - ofcourse - by using painted plastic optics reproduce other colors too.

However, the white LEDs do not produce light within the entire visible spectrum, thus it is impossible to reproduce all colors. Anyway, there is a larger variety of colored LEDs than there used to be.

Disregarding that, there are no purple LEDs...;)[/b]
I'm not sure what this is all about then.

·
Registered
355 Posts

You can't stop the technology from going forward can you?

I was thinking (after reading all these things) that in theory it shouldn't be impossible at all make any colors out of leds... Since it is just up to the wave length of the light and you can get any color... It might be that BEFORE led's could emmit light only on certain wave lengths, but on modern science that shouldn't be a problem anymore... As well as the display research is going forward with high speed that should effect other "older" parts of electrical science...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Leds in exotic colors are often reallt really expensive! Saw blue high-effect leds that was around 3$ each!

·
Registered
355 Posts

Just to remind, that the wave length science overall has gone WAY forward in last 6 years. The demand to reasearch better optical storage methods had been the main push. And that seems to be resulting "fun factor" after a while in forms of new LEDs etc.

After all the blue laser and similar new things make it possible to store way much more to a disc a size of normal CD... DVD's were just the first step, already one disc can store way more thanks to new optical inventions.

But now we are WAY OFF the topic - Mazda6 is a real marvel isn't it? :D

·
Registered
355 Posts

Leds in exotic colors are often reallt really expensive! Saw blue high-effect leds that was around 3$ each![/b]
Usually everything new is...
IF the company which made the first PURPLE LED had it patented in 150 countries (most likely they did) they will probably also make it sure they get their money back and more. much much more!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts