Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have black 16 inch steel wheels for winter. It looks good save for the center of the wheel which is sticking out like a sore thumb.

I was thinking if a center cap would help cover the center part of the wheel and make everything look good. If so ...

1) what is the recommended center cap? And is there a particular one for a mazda6? Do I buy it at the Mazda dealer? Or anything from Amazon?
2) Or should (can) I just paint the center of the wheel?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
See a couple of pictures, attached, of the 16" steel OEM Mazda wheel (on a Mazda3... same as on a Mazda6). I would refer you to the aspect of the wheel's hub-bore where it projects further outboard than the hub does. That, to me, offers a place where a cap could be afixed... Let me explain further.

If it were me (and I have to admit that I'm a bit of a fanatic in this regard) I would turn a wooden cap on my wood lathe and silicone it carefully in place.... to look like my 3rd picture. That 3rd picture is actually of a Honda Fit... I believe, where the cap is 3D printed. Wood, you ask? Well, I use what I'm comfortable with... and what I have access to. I don't have a 3D printer. I would simply paint it satin black... (along with the lug nuts, too).

I have seen people do this with an ABS pipe cap too.

The rest of the photos comprise a CX5 wheel / cap. I believe that same cap, available-from-a-Mazda-Dealer, will fit your std steel wheels. Though CX5 steel wheels are different, I saw what I believe to be the SAME cap applied to the Mazda6/Mazda3 steel wheel.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As a follow-up... I have figured out how the Mazda centre-cap holds-on. Obviously your steel wheels would need this same groove to be able to retain the Mazda caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thanks for the ideas Cdn17Sport6MT.
Additional followup: my OEM 16" Mazda wheels do NOT have the grooves evident on the CX5 steel wheels. Therefore unless the CX5 caps were adhered with several splotches of silicone (or some other non-permanent adhesive) they would not have "purchase" onto the Mazda6 / Mazda3 steel wheels that do not have the groove. The caps have to be removable as the centre-bore is necessary for spinning the tire / balancing it when a new tire is purchased.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts