Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of cleaning/detailing the interior of my 2012 Mazda 6 (US) because it desperately needed it.

I took out the center console and is currently chilling in my living room. I want to take off the armrest because I want to hose the crap out of the console (I swear, the previous owner spilled you name it in this car and then some) but it seems to be not that simple to take it off. Does the sliding armrest just slide off or do I need to pry it off? Or instead of popping it off, how does one get to the hinges and remove it that way? I would prefer the latter because I'm sure it needs it in there and I'd just like to know if you can completely disassemble it without high risk of breaking stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, this may come in handy! Mine doesn't have the rear center console vents but I'll get a better look at it tomorrow. I'll you know how it goes! thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so here's what I did to take it apart:

1. For starters, take the center console out of you car

2. There are 4 screws that hold on that back panel. Flip the console upside down. 2 are obvious on the bottom and 2 are hiding in that abyss. You can reach them with a long screw driver.

3. The back panel is also attached via clips... It's not too hard to deal with. I stuck a flat head screw driver in the gap between the back panel and the main part and turned the screw driver to pop it off instead of trying to pry it off. (I went from top to bottom)

4. Then unscrew the hinge. It's not a particularly strong spring and may or may not pop up due to some pegs (don't worry about those). If it does pop up, it ain't gonna hurt or go flying.

5. Do whatever you gotta do that called for taking apart the center console and then put it back together if you so desire...

Sorry if you were looking to take about the armrest itself... still clueless on how to do that. I'm not sure if you can pop it off the slider or not or if you have to take off the cover/armrest/squishy bit to get to take it apart

1 - 4 of 4 Posts