Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whassup peeps of the amazing Mazda 6 Forums.

I got a question for a few people who also had this problem.
Well last week i did the airbox mod and had no problems for 2 days. Then i removed the resonator and drove to the gym, and when i got out of the gym and started my car the CEL came on. What should i tell my dealer about the CEL and the airbox mod?

Should i tell him nothing about the mod? I dont want them to think im stupid but then again i dont want to tell them nothing and have the car sit there for 6-8 hours (my dealer is slow) doing test on the car.

Any thoughts or comments on what i should say? Please any help would be great. THANKS

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'CEL?..What do i say?'

tell them u did no mods...or else they charge you if they are being a b***h....i don't know...do whatever?? put the resonator back????????? *shrugs

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: CEL?..What do i say?

Well if they start poking around they will notice and if your not upfront with them about that, they may want to poke around some more to see what else you didn't tell them.

In any case they cannot deny warranty unless the modification caused it. Many of us have done the airbox mod and much more, not a single CEL tripped. I say it's unrelated without a shadow of a doubt.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

You might as well put it back to stock and see if its still happening. If it is, reset the ECU and see if its still happening. If it still is, go to the dealer.

·
Registered
244 Posts

try resetting the ecu and see if it does it again? If it does...it's definitely not related to the mod.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

You might as well put it back to stock and see if its still happening. If it is, reset the ECU and see if its still happening.  If it still is, go to the dealer.[/b]
of all the posts i didnt read :p

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by 84FordMan

Well if they start poking around they will notice and if your not upfront with them about that, they may want to poke around some more to see what else you didn't tell them.

In any case they cannot deny warranty unless the modification caused it. Many of us have done the airbox mod and much more, not a single CEL tripped. I say it's unrelated without a shadow of a doubt.[/b]
But they will make note of it and if you have a future problem that IS caused by it, you're screwed.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reading Topic: CEL?.

I used to work at a Pontiac shop before I finished school, and let me tell you.....
Do not take a modified car to the shop for a warranty claim

Or, unless you want to find out the hard way that "Denial" aint just a river in Egypt.

They will make a note of your modification and since it is an intake modification, then anything relating to drivability will be denied.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

This is why you educate yourself on your car and the basic workings of it. Our new service manager is a former GM service manager and I caught him telling a customer of ours the other day if he put transmission fluid outside of GM dealer fluid, it would void the warranty on his transmission.

If your going to mod, learn about your car and don't let yourself be bowled over by the dealer. They love idiots and know-nothings, because they can so easily convince those people that the dealership is right.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

The dealerships hold that warranty above everyone heads. You know, that if you don't do this it voids your warranty, or you can only do it this way (aka the more expensive way) otherwise it voids the warranty. It's sick and it's not right. In fact its also illegal if they wont cover the car for innane things like was mentioned above.

·
Registered
652 Posts

First, I know that using gear lube other than the Mopar brand with the Mopar additive will void the warranty on Mopar limited slip differentials. Perhaps the GM tranny requires a certain fluid. The manufacturer has the right to proclaim these things.

Also, imagine being in court trying to defend the airbox mod against engine failures. You wouldn't get very far.

I am not saying not to do the airbox mod....but put the thing back together before attempting to have a warranty issue resolved--especially a CEL that could very well have been caused by tampering with the intake.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by mmarfan

Go get your code pulled at Autozone then figure out if it's airbox related[/b]
The question becomes, can Autozone read the OBDII CAN protocol?

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by Kristoff

I used to work at a Pontiac shop before I finished school, and let me tell you.....
Do not take a modified car to the shop for a warranty claim

Or, unless you want to find out the hard way that "Denial" aint just a river in Egypt.

They will make a note of your modification and since it is an intake modification, then anything relating to drivability will be denied.[/b]
Yeah that's what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'CEL?..What do i say?'

thanks guys...i did put the car back to stock...any other replys are great

1 - 18 of 18 Posts