Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CEL goes on for about 2 days, then goes off for 2-3 days, then maybe a day or 2 later it goes on again, etc. This keeps repeating. There doesn't seem to be any obvious reason when the light goes on or off. When it first happened, I drove to the dealer but the CEL light went off after I got there so I drove away without them checking. I've been driving like this for the last 3000 miles... Does CEL indicate a problem only when it's lit continuously? I will be taking my 6 to the dealer for inspection soon (have 21000 mi on it), but what if the CEL is not lit when I take it to the dealer? Will they still be able to diagnose the problem? Does anyone else have this kind of problem?

·
Registered
815 Posts
bring it in to get it scanned for CEL codes. just because its not lit does not mean anything. when a check engine light comes on its stored in the cars memory. when the car is scanned for codes it should come up. just dont disconnect the battery because it will reset everything.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My CEL goes on for about 2 days, then goes off for 2-3 days, then maybe a day or 2 later it goes on again, etc. This keeps repeating. There doesn't seem to be any obvious reason when the light goes on or off. When it first happened, I drove to the dealer but the CEL light went off after I got there so I drove away without them checking. I've been driving like this for the last 3000 miles... Does CEL indicate a problem only when it's lit continuously? I will be taking my 6 to the dealer for inspection soon (have 21000 mi on it), but what if the CEL is not lit when I take it to the dealer? Will they still be able to diagnose the problem? Does anyone else have this kind of problem?
[/b]
actually i'm @ 49,600 miles and i just took my 03 Lapis Blue 6s to the dealer the other day.. to have it checked out for a weird knocking noise i was hearing whie turning at low speeds. In addition I wanted to have my oil changed and get a new inspection.. (getting to my point) after leaving it there over night and to my surprise TODAY.. the head service guy at the dealer tells me that my car actually passed the saftey test and flat out FAILED the emissions test. he said that when they hooked it up to the inspection machine that like 4 or 5 CEL codes went off... the funny thing about this is (and I told him this) I have had the car since late August of this year and I have never ever once seen the CEL light.... he was like we squared away the "knocking" noise in the front end.. because i guess my front axle is leaking a bit... so they ordered a new one for me.. (to be installed next week under WARRANTY) and as for the CEL codes he said to drive it and hope that by the time I come back next week it will clear itself up..I dunno maan but here is what I'm looking @ on this inspection receipt...

OBD MONITOR READINESS STATUS

Catalyst: Not Ready
Evaporative System: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor Heater: Not Ready
EGR System: Not Ready

1 - 3 of 3 Posts