Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
The MAF should be able to ignore a little water. I'm willing to bet the salt made it freak out and throw the CEL. How much salt do they put down where you are? Don't they use those huge rock salt pieces?[/b]
Sure, they use the large salt pieces, but when stuff melts and the roads get water, it's in the water. When the water gets up in the CAI and engine compartment, it evaporates and leaves the salt. You must have the same deal in Michigan...

I'm not entirely confident that the MAF won't be bothered by a little water...especially over several years time. It's an electronic device that is not really intended to get wet. If he is getting salt all the way up inside is CAI and MAF, that means a fairly decent amount of water is getting up there...not just a little.

I really wouldn't be surprised if some of you guys with CAI's start having these sorts of trouble down the line...imo.

Man, you are paranoid. If you are going to use a SRI because you are worried about shit getting through the filter and then to close the fender holes, the filter is going to be so much higher than the holes.[/b]
No, I don't think he his. Even if it doesn't get on his filter as much, you get all that crap in your engine bay. Putting vents right over the tire is absolutely retarded. You know how much water and crap comes off your tires on an average drive around town in a rain storm?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I pulled my MAF and I didn't have any salt in there. I am definitely going to clean my air filter after winter though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I pulled my MAF and I didn't have any salt in there. I am definitely going to clean my air filter after winter though.[/b]

Can you take a picture of your CAI? The tech at the dealer said that the CP-E CAI has the MAF located way too low. The MAF is located almost in the hole so it's right by where water flows in. I thought about that last night when I took it off that is was way too far down.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Can you take a picture of your CAI? The tech at the dealer said that the CP-E CAI has the MAF located way too low. The MAF is located almost in the hole so it's right by where water flows in. I thought about that last night when I took it off that is was way too far down.[/b]
I have a MazdaSpeed CAI.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
WOW! That MAF is so far away from the hole! I will take a picture of mine tonight so you guys can see how close to the hole the MAF is. Anyone that has the CP-E will know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
WOW! That MAF is so far away from the hole! I will take a picture of mine tonight so you guys can see how close to the hole the MAF is. Anyone that has the CP-E will know what I'm talking about.[/b]
Is it at all possible that your pipe is upside down? If the CP-e CAI has a MAF that is too low and causes CELs, talk to Jordan and see if there is something he can do.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Man, you are paranoid. If you are going to use a SRI because you are worried about shit getting through the filter and then to close the fender holes, the filter is going to be so much higher than the holes.[/b]
I'd rather be paranoid then be buying a new MAF. Like I stated in my post, I'll drive around for a few months first and see what condition it is in, but if the bottom of the filter looks significantly dirtier then the top then I will consider blocking that hole or even easier just fabing up a simple splash guard around the filter element. Would not be hard to do with some flashing and pop rivets.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The vast majority of us that have CAI's have no issues and have not closed the vents. You, of course, are free to do whatever it is you want.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I think I might go with a SRI as well, there are more Top end benefits with a SRI as well as not having to worry about cool air fucking with the ECU....it's also cheaper $100 less for a Shorty...sounds good to me

Yet you will have another enemy to worry about....heatsoak, so a TMIC or FMIC will be needed for sure!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Here are some pics I took tonight, you can see how low the MAF sits.[/b]
That MAF is way low. I think you should address this issue to Jordan.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
thats where the maf sits on all the cpe CAIs (its not upside down) - just checked mine (and the pic on cpe's website). it does seem a bit low when compared with the other CAIs.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
thats where the maf sits on all the cpe CAIs (its not upside down) - just checked mine (and the pic on cpe's website). it does seem a bit low when compared with the other CAIs.[/b]
It seems very low. We've had a lot of snow this season and I haven't had any salt on the inside or outside of the MAF. If the placement of the MAF is going to cause an issue on the CPE CAI's, than it should be noted.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
how much does it cost to replace the MAF if it gets damaged from salt and other road particles that get past the filter?anyone know? on the cp-e cai the maf sits just above the filter. I love my cp-e cai but if damage to the maf is inevitable it seems i should address this sooner than later.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Crusher said $275 plus labor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I talked to Jordan about this issue and here is his reply;

Thanks for contacting me and giving me a chance to explain why we designed the pipe the way we did.

I looked at your thread and I see you compared our intake to the Mazdaspeed unit, which is actually an AEM design. We call our intake the XCel because we pay very close attention to the voltage output of the mass air meter, and we were one of the first to put forth this extra effort. But in order to ensure that the MAF outputs the proper voltage, you simply can't place the MAF after a bend. I don't know how well versed you are in fluid dynamics (excuse me if you know this already), but air doesn't like to change directions. When you send air through a bend, centripetal force sends the air to the outside of the bend. Since the meter sits in the middle of the pipe, it won't correctly sample the air. The Mazdaspeed MAF is right after a bend, and they're lucky that it doesn't cause problems. But if you compare their fuel trims to ours, you'll see that ours is much more stable, which translates to safer and more consistent performance.

So putting the meter before the bend wasn't from a lack of foresight on our part, it is a necessity even thought it brings the sensor closer to the filter, and subsequently the water too. But you do need to pay a little more attention to how much water you're splashing through when you've got a CAI installed, no matter the brand. But all is not lost, as there are products you can buy that shield the filter from sucking up water. If hydro locking wasn't an issue with all CAI kits, products like these wouldn't exist 7.gif . We personally like the Injen Hydro Shield:

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/65A2582A0A0.aspx

And have you tried cleaning your MAF sensor? If your codes are being caused by the MAF, you might try *gently* cleaning the sensor element with some electronics cleaner, and any other degreaser that doesn't leave any residue. As long as the sensor isn't damaged, this should clear up the issues you're having. If you want more guidance on how to clean your MAF, PM me back and I'll walk you through it.

But as always, feel free to PM me back if you have more questions, and you're always welcome to give us a call here at the shop, 301-576-6142. Thanks!

Cheers,
Jordan

Jordan also talked about when they were designing their CAI that they were getting alot of air in the filter area coming from a hole in the front liner of the car. (I suppose this is good if you want some good air but really bad if you don't want the water!) If you have taken out your air box you can see it. It's on the front part of the car liner you have to remove for the mod. Jordan said he thinks this is where a majority of the water is coming from more than the fender liner vents. I will take pictures this weekend so everyone can see the hole in the liner. I am going to plug that hole, possibly modify the liner vents and put on that hydro shield. I think these measures should stop most of of the water/salt/sand/ dirt from getting to my MAF again. I am taking the car to the dealer for the new MAF, but I will be putting my CAI back on. I also bought some electronic cleaner so I can clean the MAF if I get a CEL for it. Thanks to Jordan over at CP-E for all his help!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I knew he'd help you out. He's good like that. Although, that doesn't explain why my intake pipe has no salt on the inside, while yours does. I know that MazdaSpeed air filters are dry filters and if I am not mistaken CPe uses an oiled filter.

Also, as I agree with Jordan's dynamics reasoning for the placement of their MAF, I do believe that MazdaSpeed CAI's MAF is far enough from that bend as to allow for enough air flow over the sensor.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You are correct, it does use an oiled filter.[/b]
I wonder if that particular type of filter is allowing in more water than the MS filter. The water is evaporating and leaving the salt. Can someone else in an extremely snowy climate check their MS CAI and verify that there is no salt residue on the inside of the pipe?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I just got the same code and I have an SRI!! Now what do I do?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.