Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! I was hoping that one of you gurus can help.. Last night when leaving work i noticed that the CEL light was on. I also noticed that when stopped the car was idling at 1000 rpm, then this mornig @ close to 2000 rpm :confused: Any clue as to what this may be??

The good thing is i bought the car from Carmax and purchased the extended warranty from them. I cant get the car in until later this week am i going to cause further damage by driving or should i park it? I appreciate any help with this issue...

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Was the car fully warmed when you noted these idle rates?
Retrieving the error code would help in a diagnosis...can you do this?
Maybe a vac leak or unmetered air entering the engine. If you can get the code, it may be something sinmple that wouldnt warrant taking the car in.

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I start my car, it idles at a higher rpm (around 1900) and slowly drops as the engine warms up. I panicked when I had a CEL last week, but it turned out I had I left the gas cap unscrewed so I would advise you to check that first, and then go to an auto store and use their free scanner to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the car fully warmed when you noted these idle rates?
Retrieving the error code would help in a diagnosis...can you do this?
Maybe a vac leak or unmetered air entering the engine. If you can get the code, it may be something sinmple that wouldnt warrant taking the car in.
When i start the car, at first it would idle at 1k, now its about 1.5k and it stays there even after warming up. I feel ashamed, should i know how given this is my second MS6? I wouldnt know how to retrieve the code, home theater im a guru, cars not so much. I called Car Max and since it is only 27 days since purchase they will fix under their "30 day guarantee". I spoke to a mazda tech and said it could be a sensor?? Ever heard of this?

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Yes, it's likely a defective sensor, or a condition which has caused an undesireable or faulty reading from a sensor.
Everything your car "knows" comes from an input from a variety of sensors.
Could be IAC?
Check the trouble code by going to an auto parts house, like auto zone, and they will use a diagnostic port scanner to retrieve the code.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts