Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've given birth to a wonderful CEL... I'm not sure what to call her yet... Need to find someone who can tell me... But i'm hoping she's just an O2...

Recent DP install WITH an aftermarket o2 sensor (since we could NOT.. and local shop COULD NOT remove the old one)... probably causing this... I hope so....

That being said it took a good 300 miles or so to show up.. I know I had about 180ish... and another 100 on this tank... before it showed up... Is this normal? I assumed it would throw a CEL within a few (10-20) miles of driving it...

Also... I recently did some testing at rev-limited shifting points... So I'm going to reset it... and see what happens... Maybe the super high rpm shifts with aftermarket downpipe and cat caused it.. and I hope under normal conditions it won't show up

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
We've given birth to a wonderful CEL... I'm not sure what to call her yet... Need to find someone who can tell me... But i'm hoping she's just an O2...

Recent DP install WITH an aftermarket o2 sensor (since we could NOT.. and local shop COULD NOT remove the old one)... probably causing this... I hope so....

That being said it took a good 300 miles or so to show up.. I know I had about 180ish... and another 100 on this tank... before it showed up... Is this normal? I assumed it would throw a CEL within a few (10-20) miles of driving it...

Also... I recently did some testing at rev-limited shifting points... So I'm going to reset it... and see what happens... Maybe the super high rpm shifts with aftermarket downpipe and cat caused it.. and I hope under normal conditions it won't show up
[/b]
you got access to a scanner? i have one and so does atc5, so if you need it scanned, just let one of us know.

i can almost guarantee you that it's the bosch o2 sensor you got from the exhaust shop. customMSP found that out this weekend. the bosch sensor is designed differently than the oem sensor, so the readings will be different. if this is the case, the CEL is only trying to tell you 'your cat is not working', which doesn't affect the driveability whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i friggin hope so... and yeah I need to pull the codes if possible... Just to make sure

CustomMSP used the same / similar o2 for his? Damn it... Problem is... say... an axel breaks.. which is common for speed6's apparently... I take it into dealership.. they see CAI.. no big deal.. they see modified exhaust.. no huge deal... they see CEL... they start to wonder how well i take care of the car.. and how much i actually know about driving it...

If you know what i mean.. CEL + Dealer = BAD... Thats why I got catted version... No CEL = dealership.. smog shop.. whoever... is more likely to not bother or notice the mods...

Hell the mechanics don't give a shit most of the time... They see the stuf and are like oh cool ... aftermarket mods... Its the service manager and such that .. if they notice stuff first hand.. will put a hold on things or cause issues...

ANYWAY.... YES PLEASE... to scanner access... Just need a time and place...

Also... is it normal for the CEL to take THAT long to show up... or do you think it could be because of the heavy high RPM driving recently that finally made it pop?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i work in sf and i can bring the scanner to work if you want to come during the day tomorrow if you've got time. i wont be around this weekend to scan, but you can try atc5.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Humm where do you work? When would you have "lunch" or time off... I'm pretty much able to do it anytime... I'm sorta worried about the nail in my tire... I think it will be fine... I drove all the way down.. and back up from ATC's w/o a problem and i've put another 300 miles on it since DP install w/o any problems... However the new set of tires I had ordered didn't arrive today (wed) and I was told friday.... bla bla bla

So yeah... where do you work and/or when would you be able to test it real fast? I don't wanna show up at some office building and walk around looking for your desk lol... wouldn't feel right... if ya know what I mean...

But yeah tomorrow should be fine...

P.S. If parking is 20 dollars per minute like everywhere else in town I might have to pass.. would be cheaper to take it to mazda almost lol

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Reason why your cel took so long to show up, because there has to be two occurances for the cell to pop up.

1.)pending cell
2.)OMG FUCKA DO SUMPTING!!! cell......get it got it good.

I read your other topic about your car jumping, and jerking...that tells me you were running rich, and fucking up your sensors there....Take off the downpipe or go Catless dude....

·
Registered
364 Posts
i can almost guarantee you that it's the bosch o2 sensor you got from the exhaust shop. customMSP found that out this weekend. the bosch sensor is designed differently than the oem sensor, so the readings will be different.
[/b]

only way to tell is with a multimeter

sending to customMSP for proof on this as this will be a PITA and possibly expensive going forward.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
only way to tell is with a multimeter
sending to customMSP for proof on this as this will be a PITA and possibly expensive going forward.
[/b]
his happened on his protege. the af ratios we're out of wack.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Humm... Well the "jumping" thing has been reported by several members.. and i'm pretty sure 2 of the speed6's that helped me do the DP install said they have the same issue....

It seems to be a 3rd gear hickup or whatever... Turbo doesn't spool quick enough or something and takes an extra second.. blink of an eye... to catch up... did it worse before DP so who knows...

Can't remove cat... w/o choppin up the DP.. and the cat is TINY... almost not even there.... and I remove one of them... so I don't think thats the problem ... As for running ruch.. I have a huge intake.... which is about as much as I can do about rich right now.... New front mount or top mount might help ... but thats a while down the road...

What i need now is to figure out and find someone to help me test the o2 sensor.. figure out if its the wrong sensor... if its not connected properly.. or what...

It has 4 wires... 1 grey.. 1 black.. 2 white... I connected the grey and black to grey and black.. however the 2 whites ... there is no way to tell which is which.... so I just guessed...

If these are backwards... could very well be why its throwing a CEL... and easy enough to fix... sorta...

Sounds like some other things that the Bosch o2 I used is just the wrong sensor to begin with... which really sucks.. 85 bucks for the thing...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts