Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a CEL today after driving through some heavy rain and a few decent puddles. It was also sputtering once it got into boost. I restarted the car a few times but the light stayed on. All of a sudden the last time I started it the CEL was off and it seemed to be running fine. Do you think I am good, or do I still need to have the code cleared?

BTW, I have a CP-E CAI that I just put on the other day. No prefilter, but I will be getting one soon. If anyone has one for sale, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
You'll probably have to at least let your MAF dry out before resetting the CEL. It's probably best to clean your MAF with a MAF cleaner, available at your nearest automotive parts store.
Stop driving through puddles!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, I didn't drive through the puddle on purpose. There was a small lake in front of the on ramp to the highway!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yep you got water on your MAF wire, I have done that about a half dozen times now with my CP-E CAI. For me it always happens when I have been driving in the rain for an extended period of time and then really got into boost. So either stay out of strong boost in the rain or you can get a prefilter and a splash guard for CAI.

Reactions: GroceryGetter

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I appreciate the info. Does your car go back to running normally once the MAF dries out, or did you have to go in and clear the code? I never really had a chance to test it out after installing the CAI, so don't know if I am running at the optimal level or not.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yes the car does go back to running normal with no ill effects once the sensor, and the filter, dry out.

I've got a dashhawk so I alway ready and clear any codes as soon as I get them. But yes even without a dashhawk the code should clear itself in time. If the sensor that threw the out of range reading, in this case your wet MAF, returns back to normal, the CEL will go out pn it's own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im not very experienced with engines, but I see you guys have MS6's. Do the regular 6's have this component and will they have this problem?

·
Registered
806 Posts
A stock MS6 or 6 would have no problems with this. We installed a CAI which places the intake filter in the front fender well. On the MS6, the front fender liners are vented so you are essential spraying water into your fender well where your filter is. Eventually it can become soaked and especially with a turbo when you go into boost it can suck water into the intake track from the wet filter and onto the maf sensor wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts