Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the south Denver area, and we recently got a blizzard in which I unfortunately had my car parked in a place that got heavy snow. A couple nights ago me and my fiance got curious about how far we could move the car and tried to get it out, but it was covered in about 3 1/2 ft. of snow, so after rocking it back and forth for about 5-10 minutes I finally decided I would leave it there until it cleared up a little bit or at least until a plow came. Anyway, I went to see if I could move it again today, and when I turned it on I had a check engine light, that wouldn't go away. It idled and revved just fine, and sounded just like it normally does, but the light wouldn't go away. I eventually got it completely warmed up, dug it out of the snow, and got it to where it wasn't covered in snow anymore, but the light stayed on.

I called my dealership to ask them if they had experienced this before and he told me it was most likely something in the emissions system that froze over and gave a bad reading. He said as long as it wasn't flashing that the car should be fine, and that it took 40 cycles of the car warming up and cooling down before it would clear it's own CEL. Has anyone else heard of this or had anything similiar happen? Also, when I had my WRX and my Z it was pretty easy to do an ECU reset to clear a CEL, does anyone know how to reset our cars ECU? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I personally have not heard of this, You might want to think about investing in a good scan tool though. If you want to get rid of the code faster just disconnect the negative (-) battery terminal for about 5-10 minutes, that will clear all the codes out of the car. You'll lose all your radio stations and have to re-program your power windows but that only take a minute to fix.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
AHAHH 40 cycles? Actually it's 6 cycles, IF what initially caused the MIL stops having issues.

In any case take it in wtf, you have a code and it seems you could care less what it is.

You just want to get rid of the annoying MIL, disconnect the battery and leave the lights on.

Flashing MIL is the MIL you don't want to see, it's only flashing because of massive misfires. If that were to happen you must turn off the car immediately.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought I read something saying that the purge valve can go bad when it gets colder... builds Jan - June 06. When it started getting cold here, like 10 degrees, mine went bad. I just had it replaced under warranty today.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I read something saying that the purge valve can go bad when it gets colder... builds Jan - June 06. When it started getting cold here, like 10 degrees, mine went bad. I just had it replaced under warranty today. [/b]
Hmmm, I'll have to check into that. I actually just got my car completely out of the snow, or else I would have taken it to the dealership to begin with. I've had a flashing CEL before on my WRX, right after I heard some audible detonation, ended up cracking a ringland on cylinder #4, so I'm well aware of what a flashing CEL generally means, but I've also had various CEL's (non flashing like this one) on my past few cars (mostly for removing the cats lol) which never caused a problem, I always just spliced a MIL eliminator (electrical) into the O2 sensor or put an eliminator (mechanical O2 extender) on the end of the O2, reset the ECU and they went away. I am concerned about it, but I'm not going to start freaking out, I'd like to just erase the CEL code from the ECU and see if it comes back before I continue troubleshooting. Thanks for the advise concerning the purge valve though, I'll make sure to keep it in mind.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Reset the ECU, CEL went away, been driving around all day and it hasn't come back. Car is just fine, hopefully it stays that way :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would assume something got wet via the intake (as it sat in the wet snow). In the future, don't start your car until you have it dug out - if you're over the fendors, it's likely the snow is packed under the motor and shuold be dug out before starting. You likely sucked up some wet snow when you started it prior to digging it out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had the engine check light come on mine after a very cold spell. Called the dealer and they said the same thing....."if it isn't flashing don't worry". It turned off after 2-3 days on it's own. The dealer said it could have been the gas cap not tightened enough too.

Merry Christmas all....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: The CEL came on again after our 2nd blizzard here lol, and has been on ever since. I took it to the dealer (which I now work for :) ) where I was told it is a faulty O2 sensor, which they ordered and said it would be there on Monday. I guess we'll see if that's the problem when they replace it. Other than that though, the car has been running like a champ.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Update: The CEL came on again after our 2nd blizzard here lol, and has been on ever since. I took it to the dealer (which I now work for :) ) \[/b]
Hey I live in the Centennial area too!!! What dealer do you work for?? Burt Mazda??

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey I live in the Centennial area too!!! What dealer do you work for?? Burt Mazda??[/b]
That's correct :D I just noticed you posted in the regional forums, should definately try and make it out to the meet we're trying to setup on the 21st. Would be nice to have another Speed6 out here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's correct :D I just noticed you posted in the regional forums, should definately try and make it out to the meet we're trying to setup on the 21st. Would be nice to have another Speed6 out here.[/b]
Burt is where I bought my Speed from back in July...might have to bring her all the way down there just so I can be sure to get some quality care from a fellow 6clubber!!

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
The first thing I bought for my MS6 was the AutoEnginuity scantool. I think over the life of this car it will be worth it's weight in gold...

It's a bit pricey with the Mazda extensions, but absolutely worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Burt is where I bought my Speed from back in July...might have to bring her all the way down there just so I can be sure to get some quality care from a fellow 6clubber!![/b]
Most definately, I just started working there, but if you happen to stop by sometime in the future ask for Brandon ;) I'm off until Monday though.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: As it turns out, the car needed a new oxygen sensor. Appearantly the sensor wire got too close to the driveshaft and cut the wire enough to throw a CEL. Oxygen sensor has been replaced, CEL is gone, and I'm a happy camper :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
mine is doing the same thing, i'm going to go run the code and see what it is. it did it after i got off work last night. It was 15 deg and the car had been sitting outside for a while

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hmmmm, MS6's don't like the cold it seems. Dropped to about 20 degrees here in Dallas during a rare ice storm yesterday. My car was fine when it was in the garage. I parked at work and it was outside all day. Went to start her up to head home and lo and behold, the check engine light popped up and stayed on. I dropped it off at the dealership last night. That's what I have a warranty for. :yesnod:

·
Registered
104 Posts
The temperature dropped to single digits today, here in Chicago and voila! the Check Engine Light (MIL) came on. No idea what it is. Car runs okay though. Will take it into the dealer tomorrow. This car sure does not like cold weather.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
You guys are probably getting the infamous P2006 code. It's due to a valve in the intake that sticks when it's very cold. There is a procedure to fix it, and if that works, they replace the valve. It will generally not happen if you allow the car to warm up enough before driving it. I haven't had it yet here in NH, and there's been a few morning were it was 0 or so, and it hasn't thrown it yet.

It generally won't hurt anything other than lowering your mileage a little bit before the cars goes into closed loop...it's an emissions valve..

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
My car this morning threw a CEL. I dont really drive my speed6 that much outside of the 20 mile highway commute to work. I dont take it too fast and so I know the CEL isnt due to abuse. So its really cold, and I think much like others in this thread, it might be the culprit. Its not flashing so i'll assume its ok to drive it, however i'll have to wait until Friday to take it to the dealership. Someone said it takes 6 on/off's for the CEL to reset itself? I was so worried, thinking, 'i paid an arm and a leg for this car and at 5k its already acting crazy...'

I hope its not too big of a deal. Its freezing out, the temp guage said 2 on it. So i'm sure it is 99% the weather.

Should I sit it out for a day or two and see if it goes away?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts