Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, ok.. i took my 06 6i onto the dealership this morning becuase a CEL came on last night. there telling me it is becuase of my CAI... im a little confused becuase ive had that CAI for 2-3 months now and it just came on?? are they b.s.ing me? it is a cheap ebay CAI, bomz is the maker. it is a direct make four my car, and works fine. all replies with info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It more than likely is, I have an AEM on my 2005 and I got a cel about a month after i installed it. I also have never heard of that company that makes your intake so...besides I don't really think the dealership would have anything to gain from telling you that it is you intake when its not, atleast right now.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

wow!! just read the article, and it was great!! thank you. well i did get the car back, the problem is fixed.... not sure for how long though. there saying the CEL can come back on.. not to worried about it though. i know theres somthing i can buy to permantelly turn it off, i think?!?! do u guys think that becuase i got a lil cheapy CAI (bomz is the maker) that it is underperforming the other 4 by alot? i mean the smallest gain was 6 hp with one of the brands... u think mines makin that? i mean it was 60 bucks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I didn't even know there were intakes out there for 60.00. I have had my cel go off 2 other times since so it probably will come back on sometime and cp-e makes a customizer for injen intakes so I don't think that helps you but heres the link anyway

http://www.cp-e.com/2006.html

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
No, there's nothing to keep the CEL from coming on. It'll be a recurring problem for you as long as you keep that crappy intake on there. Any intake (aside from the CP-E ones) will give you a CEL on the Mazda6, it's only a matter of how long and how often it will come up.

You've got 2 options -- you can buy a CAN scanner and check the code and clear it everytime it comes up or you can buy a CP-E intake.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, there's nothing to keep the CEL from coming on. It'll be a recurring problem for you as long as you keep that crappy intake on there. Any intake (aside from the CP-E ones) will give you a CEL on the Mazda6, it's only a matter of how long and how often it will come up.

You've got 2 options -- you can buy a CAN scanner and check the code and clear it everytime it comes up or you can buy a CP-E intake.
[/b]

crappy?!?! man, to me... besides the cp-e one, there all the same!! its a 3" ss pipe with a cone at the end.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The Bomz intake is supposely a knock off of Injen. And Injen will cause a CEL on both the 2.3 and 3.0.

There are several members here that have one and I think they all had CEL's related to the intake. Bumpin Blazer has one on his v6 and is looking to fix the CEL problem using the CPE Maf Customizer. But that fix will only work on the 3.0.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well triggering CELs ain't exactly a criteria for achieving top quality. ;)
[/b]

lol. true...true!!! well im hopin i dont have this problem alot!!! but... CEL's are a problem with 3 out of the 4 CAI right?

·
Registered
210 Posts
crappy?!?! man, to me... besides the cp-e one, there all the same!! its a 3" ss pipe with a cone at the end.
[/b]
No, not all intakes are the same. The reason the CP-E intake doesn't trigger the CEL is because it has a component that piggybacks onto the ECU and changes several parameters to not only increase power, but trick the ECU into believing that all of the original equipment is installed (like the VAD).

One question though - if one were to reinstall the VAD and simply cap the vacuum lines, wouldn't that keep the CEL from coming on? Or is there more to the CEL than simply having the VAD disabled?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
One question though - if one were to reinstall the VAD and simply cap the vacuum lines, wouldn't that keep the CEL from coming on? Or is there more to the CEL than simply having the VAD disabled?
[/b]
Well, it's always a good idea to keep the solenoid connected and the vac lines capped but the CEL is not due to the VAD connection. The CEL that is triggered is primarily due to the differences in short and long term fuel trims. Read all about it in the "What Does the Short and Long Fuel Trim have to Do With a P0171 Code? " section of this post:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=42325

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have the 2.3 right? I thought it wasn't as common on the 4 compared to the v6.
[/b]

i do have the 2.3. and ive heard that it throws the CEL on most of the CAI, except the cp-e

No, not all intakes are the same. The reason the CP-E intake doesn't trigger the CEL is because it has a component that piggybacks onto the ECU and changes several parameters to not only increase power, but trick the ECU into believing that all of the original equipment is installed (like the VAD).

[/b]

well, i know the cp-e is in a class by itself, but i meant with the other 3 or 4.. there pretty much the same?!? so is it totally without a doubt worth it to get the cp-e cai?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts