Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the shop almost $900 lighter. The 6 threw a CEL at 75,000 miles and the dreaded vacuum leak was discovered. Culprits were the intake gaskets, PCV hose and the EGR valve.

Replaced the intake manifold gaskets, upper plentum gaskets, spark plugs, and the PCV hose. Checked the codes and 'Yay' no need to get to the EGR.

Final Tally: $500 in labor and $340 in parts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Holy crap........

According to RockAuto.com, it'd cost me $280. And that's IF I changed the EGR valve.
EGR: $230
Intake Gaskets: $40
PCV hose: $10

I'd LOVE to know how your EGR AND gaskets just happened to go bad at the same time...... I think you got jacked all around. I assume you got the old EGR?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
additional work done

sorry guys, the 340 includes some other parts associated with some additional work (oil change, brake fluid flush). And the EGR did not need replacement.

details are

2 Intake Manifold Gaskets at 44.05 each
6 Platinum Plugs at 7.00 each
6 Upper Intake Gaskets at 6.00 each
1 PCV hose at 38.33
1 Plenum Service Kit at 64.2

Yeah I probably got jobbed a little on the price for parts and labor, but it's a shop I trust. In and out same day with 12 mos/12,000 warranty.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Damn bro, I'm sorry but they raped you. Not for nuthin all that stuff you could've done urself with an 8mm socket extension and and ratchet and a pair of plier. And could be done in about 2 hours.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
You should have called since you are local.They had a install meet this weekend while I was out of town,I could have gotten you wholesale on the parts.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You should have called since you are local.They had a install meet this weekend while I was out of town,I could have gotten you wholesale on the parts.
You guys have install meets? Sweet. How do those work? Near here, seems like there's always someone wanting to make one and it never happens.

I was at a meet once, and someone had just bought a short shifter. Someone else happened to have their tools and decided to do the install. Later on, the same guy helped with a few other things. He suggested we bring tools, and every now and then do installs for other club members.
It didn't last long. But to be honest, that club went downhill with all the drama, owner talking trash about younger members, selling his car and then saying mazdas are crap, selling the site to someone who wanted to make money off it, who failed and owed money to certain members, tried selling it at a ridiculous price, and closed the site down.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
You guys have install meets? Sweet. How do those work? Near here, seems like there's always someone wanting to make one and it never happens.

I was at a meet once, and someone had just bought a short shifter. Someone else happened to have their tools and decided to do the install. Later on, the same guy helped with a few other things. He suggested we bring tools, and every now and then do installs for other club members.
It didn't last long. But to be honest, that club went downhill with all the drama, owner talking trash about younger members, selling his car and then saying mazdas are crap, selling the site to someone who wanted to make money off it, who failed and owed money to certain members, tried selling it at a ridiculous price, and closed the site down.

Where are you located at?
We have a meet about once a month locally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts