Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really interested in the Catz HID's (rising white) for my Mazda 6 and I've decided I'm above the law (or at least willing to take the risk :D) after reading the ridiculous NHTSA posted "slide-show" of the study that led to pulling the sale of aftermarket HID kits. They actually list "distraction" as one reason for concerns over using HID. If the entire country were using HIDs and a select few had halogens, the same argument could be made for the more yellow light and thus invalidates "distraction" as solid reasoning, as far as I'm concerned. In any event, what prevents one of our Aussie friends from facilitating a group buy from a non-US vendor and then shipping to us, or to a contact in the US?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Reading Topic: Catz HID

I think the few thousand dollar fine would stop you if caught. Though you have to wonder, how much do these customs guys know about HIDs?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Since when does customs inspect UPS or Fedex shipments from foreign countries? Especially friendly countries like Canada or Australia? Hell, I came back from the Caribbean three weeks ago and they didn't even bother to send us through luggage inspection. All they did was check our passports. I could have brougt back the Cuban cigar I had down there.

Thanks for the link, Eric. I may write them if I get the time, but I don't expect anything from it. The NHTSA is notorious for slighting data to force a point to the public. Any word on the Mazda Japan headlight housings?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

What you didn't see was the sniffer dogs when the baggage was being unlkoaded that would have picked up your cigar like nobodies business.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Interesting, because I actually did save the cigar tube, which was in my backpack (carry on). No x-ray machine is going to tell you there is or is not a cigar in the tube, but that never caught anyone's attention in barbados or philadelphia. Anyway, I'm not sure that dogs would go nuts over tobacco products, especially sealed in plastic. I'm also sure there isn't time for dogs to sniff thousands of pieces of luggage on a continuous basis. Believe me, security is not as tight as you think it is despite all the changes. But we're talking about xenon HID headlight kits which would probably make it past the dogs, correct? :D

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

Yeah, i'm actually going to europe next summer and am toying with the idea of bringing HIDs back with me :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Catz HID'

Originally posted by kyler13

Interesting, because I actually did save the cigar tube, which was in my backpack (carry on).  No x-ray machine is going to tell you there is or is not a cigar in the tube, but that never caught anyone's attention in barbados or philadelphia.  Anyway, I'm not sure that dogs would go nuts over tobacco products, especially sealed in plastic.  I'm also sure there isn't time for dogs to sniff thousands of pieces of luggage on a continuous basis.  Believe me, security is not as tight as you think it is despite all the changes.  But we're talking about xenon HID headlight kits which would probably make it past the dogs, correct? :D[/b]
They are using electronic sniffers these days to scan every luggage. I don't think it's your cuban cigar they're after though...more like heroin and plastics and other bad stuff. But you're right...security isn't tight...

This is my cartoonist friend Olle's view of it...

He did another one on the same theme...

He has more faith in your army though... :D

...as does he in many respects in the US government... :)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Catz HID'

Originally posted by kyler13

retrofit or full-fledged Mazda headlamps?[/b]
If I can, full headlamp assembly, so I don't have to fiddle with rebuilding the housing. I may just bring back the headlight assembly, and then buy an OEM HID bulb set from another car over here and put it in, that should work, right?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Forget about auto-leveling because that set-up requires pre-wired sensors in the car for level control so I don't know if you'd even be able to aim them! As far as optically correct beam patterns, check out the kits from www.hid-tech.com. They include projectors made for HID. That would require tearing the headlamps apart and replacing the lowbeam projectors, but still much cheaper than buying a set of Mazda headlamps designed for HID and bringing them back.

If you do decide to get the headlamps, DO NOT buy bulbs/ballasts from another car over here. You want brand new bulbs that are standard D2S and NOT rebased to any halogen type (ie. H1, H3, 9006, etc.). Reason? These are $150 bulbs that do have a finite life and drop in color temperature slightly over that time. Spare non-rebased HID bulbs and ballasts should not be illegal to buy because that's what OEM set-ups use. However, figure ~$400 for bulbs and ballasts even if they are not rebased retrofit kits (about the same price!).

Just get a kit, man! :)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

The only reason I was thinking of importing the headlamps was so i didn't have to rebuild the projector. Liteswap made it sound like it was super hard to do, though I'm open to suggestions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts