Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 mazda 6i touring. 2.5l engine. I have a catalytic converter problem but I am not sure which one is bad. How common is it for the main converter mounted on the engine to become clogged? I am hoping it is the downstream converter because it is a lot cheaper to replace. Any info is appreciated.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,594 Posts
I have a 2012 mazda 6i touring. 2.5l engine. I have a catalytic converter problem but I am not sure which one is bad. How common is it for the main converter mounted on the engine to become clogged? I am hoping it is the downstream converter because it is a lot cheaper to replace. Any info is appreciated.
My experience is replacing both is what is needed if one goes. Keep in mind cat.converters are murdered. Something caused its failure and if that problem is not remedied it will happen again.

I replaced my upstream converters (2) and the downstream units were partially clogged. The downstream units contributed to the early failure of the new ($700) upstream ones. I had to do all four, two of them again (5 years ago) but have been solid since.

If you are getting an engine code it is the upstream converter that is sending that code as the downstream one is not monitored, like Talon said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have to replace both cats. Had to get an after market manifold converter as Mazda is back ordered and no idea when they will have any. On that note, has anyone heard of Davico catalytic converters? Are they decent parts that will last a few years? Even if it only lasts 4 or five years I only paid 400 compared to 2000 that mazda charges.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have to replace both cats. Had to get an after market manifold converter as Mazda is back ordered and no idea when they will have any. On that note, has anyone heard of Davico catalytic converters? Are they decent parts that will last a few years? Even if it only lasts 4 or five years I only paid 400 compared to 2000 that mazda charges.
You could have gotten this from ebay, 400 is a lot for a cat, atleast for a 2012 mazda 6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts