Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my understanding is that CarPlay connects via Bluetooth and hands off to WiFi. Which I get. Audio and video way better over WiFi than Bluetooth.

So our head units support WiFi. Might need to enable it with the AIO tweaks. But any idea how to make CarPlay work wireless? Main reason for me is to no be charging phone each time - makes the battery last a lot longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
No. CarPlay comes in 2 different types: wired and wireless. The retrofits we are getting only support the wired type. Just because our head units have Wi-Fi, doesn't mean CarPlay can automatically work wirelessly. ALL Mazda Connect head units DO NOT have an integrated Apple CarPlay authentication chip built inside them required for wireless CarPlay functionality. The chip must be integrated, not just in the USB hub (AFAIK). This is the primary purpose for replacing the USB hub to begin with, otherwise there would be no need and people could enable CarPlay via SW update alone. It's not physically possible for a Mazda Connect head unit to support wireless CarPlay. It's an Apple limitation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No. CarPlay comes in 2 different types: wired and wireless. The retrofits we are getting only support the wired type. Just because our head units have Wi-Fi, doesn't mean CarPlay can automatically work wirelessly. ALL Mazda Connect head units DO NOT have an integrated Apple CarPlay authentication chip built inside them required for wireless CarPlay functionality. The chip must be integrated, not just in the USB hub (AFAIK). This is the primary purpose for replacing the USB hub to begin with, otherwise there would be no need and people could enable CarPlay via SW update alone. It's not physically possible for a Mazda Connect head unit to support wireless CarPlay. It's an Apple limitation.
I 100% believe you, but do you happen to have the source? I test drove a 2020 mazda 6 and Carplay worked over bluetooth and was kind of bummed to find out I required a cable for my 2018 mazda 6.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered one of these today, looks similar to the one for Amazon but slightly better documented.

We’ll see how well it works. I’ll probably use it in my Ford first but if it works as advertised I’ll get one for the 6.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It will be a few weeks. It’s shipping from China and they’ve extended the quarantine on exports from Hong Kong to 2 weeks so I’m unlikely to receive it until mid February.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is an adapter that you can get for wireless carplay here: Amazon.com: Carlinkit 2.0 carplay dongle Wired to Wireless activator Adapter for Audi Volvo Benz Porsche Honda OEM Stereo with carplay/Support Steering Wheel Button: Car Electronics
Must have the wired Carplay/Android Auto installed.

Only works for Carplay, nothing yet for Android Auto.
The Carlinkit 2.0 carplay dongle is cheaper ($129.99 on Amazon) than the C2PLAYair Wireless adapter ($159.99).
I have a 2017 Mazda 6 and am istalling the cables and new module (USB ports) to enable me to use Apple Car Play.
Do you know if the Carlilnk 2.0 will work for me?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Carlinkit 2.0 carplay dongle is cheaper ($129.99 on Amazon) than the C2PLAYair Wireless adapter ($159.99).
I have a 2017 Mazda 6 and am istalling the cables and new module (USB ports) to enable me to use Apple Car Play.
Do you know if the Carlilnk 2.0 will work for me?
The reviews for that Amazon adaptor were enough to make me look elsewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts