Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2010 6 and want to install the trunk cargo net.

I poked around back there and there are two clips on each side high up on the interior of the trunk, but no lower ones.

I have to go to the dealer to get my plate in a couple days and was going to pick up a cargo net, but now I'm not sure if I have all the needed clips.

I can't find anywhere online to see a pic of the net installed and where the clips are. If anyone has any info on this it'd be appreciated. I can't figure out if my trim level should have come with the net.

6 s Grand Touring

We replaced our old 2006 6 s with this for my gf. She loves it so far.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The cargo net kit comes with the four needed clips.
In the trunk, there are four plugs/pushpins (don't remember) holding the panel (with the latch hole in it) to the body. You remove these and insert the supplied hooks into the holes. Screw them down and the gasket expands to fill the hole and create a tight fit, then you just hook the net on at the corners.

~Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks your the man for the pics. I was hoping it was something like that.

I don't understand why more people don't get the net. It's so handy to have. Once you get used to having one it's hard to live without.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
50 bucks may seem a little high for just some netting and elastic but it really makes a difference. It seems that all grocery stores use plastic bags now, and by the time I get home half the crap spilled out in the trunk and I have to re-bag it or tie off the ends.

It's also really nice if you are hauling things that could potentially ruin the hell out of your trunk. Sometimes I have to go pick up solvents and inks for work and I'm totally not cool with leaving them unsecured in the tunk so I resort to putting them behind the front seats where I know they can't topple over.

Every higher end car I've had in the past came with them factory. I don't get why they aren't standard with the Grand Touring trim on this car.

·
Registered
919 Posts
When I purchased my Mazda6s new back in 04', I asked the salesman if I can get a free cargo net with my car, so he took one out of another new 6 on the lot, and installed it in my car. It's seems to work well, and the price was right.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I agree that it's worth the price. I can drop groceries in it, my iPad, whatever, and the items are held securely despite my two wheel cornering antics. What I like about the position is that the lip of the trunk is a semi circle so there's a convenient place in front of the net to drop items as well.

What I don't like is how it's attached. 3x now...the top anchors and the grommet have stripped and popped out.

What I ended up doing is purchasing a new set of anchors (hooks) from the dealer. The kit comes with two slender threaded anchors (meant for top mounting with the grommets) and two thicker anchors for the bottom position. The bottom anchors screw right into metal. I took the "bottom" anchors from the kit, tapped a new hole in the metal tab that supports the top positions mounts, and screwed them directly in.

It'll hold 3 watermellons now. ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
cargo net is easy to install, but you need a drill and drill bit. Made me wonder why they dont just sell the car with the hole ready to put that cargo net instead to drill in the metal bracket that hold the plastic back trunk.. Mine is not use that much, it end up that it holds my booster cables, portable vacumm cleaner. One the cargo net is in place, its hard to acces the trunk,usually I remove one side of the net so I can acces better or put boxes in the trunk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed one a couple days ago and I love it. You can find them closer to $40 online. I used a regular drill bit because I didn't have a step drill bit. I suspect that would drill a cleaner hole. I just used a dremel to clean up the edges and it was all good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts