Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Carbon Fiber Hood?'

Personally I wouldn't like one.

But different people have different interest in the 6. I'm glad for every mod made that make someone happy!

Go get one if u like!:)

·
Registered
577 Posts

We are in the process of finding a manufacturer to make them for us.... BUT, we want to make sure to offer a hood that Mazda6 owners want to buy. the JDM look is to go with one that is still OEM in appearance. Some people like to have hood vents in it and so forth, but that is what we need to find out. We will have a hood made and ready to sell by April/May...

We will do a group buy through the site to help Amish generate some funds for the web server. Expect similar group buys to occur in the future on other items.....

Nikolas

·
Registered
514 Posts

Funny as it was, there was a point. I don't see the point in spending $600 to save 20 pounds when passengers weigh up to twice that. Doesn't make sense to me. At least admit it's primarily for gaga factor :)

That is, unless it's a vented hood and you truly do have cooling issues (particularly if you went and chromed everything underhood).

-Alt

·
Registered
56 Posts

$600 for a 20lb. drop is a little...worthless, but I really wouldn't buy the c/f hood for the weight benefit. Sure it's why a lot of people buy them but I would buy one because I just happen to like the look of carbon fiber paired with blue :)

~Kyle

·
Registered
657 Posts

I dunno, I don't like the look of the c/f hood either. A 2 tone car reminds me of the white trash primered cars I used to laugh at all the time... Wait, I STILL laugh at them. :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by Altersys

... I don't see the point in spending $600 to save 20 pounds...
-Alt[/b]
Are they really that expensive?

·
Registered
514 Posts

CF is not cheap... $600 is probably a stretch, but you have to search to find a QUALITY CF hood for less than $300, I just don't see the point... but to each his own.

And yeah, my math sucks :)

-Alt

·
Registered
31 Posts

Hey
Guys you can paint carbon fiber hood so that thay blend in nice and dont look like you have just a black hood! I know it my sound funny but I does look nice as he**!
I had one on my tiburon and I loved it! I got it to drop some pounds and look nice at the same time! But like A few of you have said it is up to the person who wont it.
But look at it this way if we all do the same modes then all are 6's will look the same but colors will be differant. That is what it is all about to make it differant than the next guy but to respect his car to!
That is how I fell I would get one and blend it into my yellow paint so it looks nice and not like trash as one guy said It think.
Aslo DG MOTORSPORTS will be selling them!

·
Registered
577 Posts

I wouldnt plan on spending less than $600 for a quality hood that is COMPLETELY carbon fiber.. Many companies use a fiberglass frame and then lay the CF over the top of it. This lowers the price buy a good deal, instead of having the entire hood made out of CF. Carbon fiber fenders are also a way to go to reduce weight of the car. You would be surprised how much of a difference it makes to install a CF Hood, CF Fenders and relocate the battery to the trunk. Removing around 100lbs from the front of the car really helps balance it out. I know from personal experience as I have done this on my 1999 Mercury Cougar and the car handles much better now at Willow Springs Raceway (2.5 mile roadcourse).. much less understeer..........

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

damn!!! didn't know they were that much. thought they were bout $200-$300. i'll probably just keep the one on there now.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Yep, like I said, good ones are not cheap. You can get ghetto CF hoods but they defeat the (performance) purpose. I guess the bling factor is still there.

Nikolas brings up a good point that you could use such panels as tuning aids for weight distribution. But again, don't expect to lower your 0-60 by half a second...

-Alt

·
Registered
657 Posts

Originally posted by sean

Hey
    Guys you can paint carbon fiber hood so that thay blend in nice and dont look like you have just a black hood! I know it my sound funny but I does look nice as he**!
     I had one on my tiburon and I loved it! I got it to drop some pounds and look nice at the same time! But like A few of you have said it is up to the person who wont it.
       But look at it this way if we all do the same modes then all are 6's will look the same but colors will be differant. That is what it is all about to make it differant than the next guy but to respect his car to!
         That is how I fell I would get one and blend it into my yellow paint so it looks nice and not like trash as one guy said It think.
    Aslo DG MOTORSPORTS will be selling them![/b]
OK, now my brain hurts. Huh?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts