Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2016 Mazda 6. I was driving one day and the car completely cut out on power and I got a check engine light and the traction control light came on and the car would not rev past 4 thousand rpms so I took it home and shut it off now it won’t start anymore and throws all different types of codes what would be the cause of that?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Welcome to the Forum :coffee:

What engine and transmission do you have? Mileage?

1st step is to write down all of the symptoms and codes it threw at you. Then check all of your fuses and relays.

Does all of your electrical work? How old is your battery - voltage? Original Alternator? Can you hear your fuel pump prime when you set ignition to ACC?

Does it crank at all? starter sounds weak? Crank but no start?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forum :coffee:

What engine and transmission do you have? Mileage?

1st step is to write down all of the symptoms and codes it threw at you. Then check all of your fuses and relays.

Does all of your electrical work? How old is your battery - voltage? Original Alternator? Can you hear your fuel pump prime when you set ignition to ACC?

Does it crank at all? starter sounds weak? Crank but no start?
Yeah it cranks but no start and we checked all that

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Well since a lot of things are left unknown.. I'll have to be generic.

you really only need 4 things to start a petrol engine.. Air, Fuel, Spark, and Compression. Get the right mixture and it will start. Sustain it and it will continue to run.

Check to make sure you are getting sufficient air flow. No blockage. Clean out your filter and clean your MAF as well. Use only MAF sensor cleaner for that. Make sure your exhaust is not restricted beyond factory specifications. Check TB for functionality.

Do a compression and leak down test on all cylinders.

Do a fuel pressure test. Test your injectors.

Check ALL of your spark plugs and make sure they meet factory specifications. Verify that the ignition coils are working as designed. If you do not have an analyzing oscilloscope.. you can do an ohms test to get a base. It's not as accurate but will give you can idea of it's general condition.

Check all of your grounds. Bad grounds and not strong enough grounds will no allow engine to start or run.

If that's all good, advance to all the other related sensors and bits... ie; crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, camshaft timing, crank pulley, timing chain, MAF, ECU (clear it and perform a residual reset)...etc

There's also the security factor. Make sure your immobilizer is operational as designed.

there's of course other factors too but start there.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The very first thing to do would be to buy a code reader (you can get cheap ones at Walmart for $20) and find out what codes it's throwing. If you don't do that it's just guesswork...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I have a 2016 Mazda 6. I was driving one day and the car completely cut out on power and I got a check engine light and the traction control light came on and the car would not rev past 4 thousand rpms so I took it home and shut it off now it won’t start anymore and throws all different types of codes what would be the cause of
The very first thing to do would be to buy a code reader (you can get cheap ones at Walmart for $20) and find out what codes it's throwing. If you don't do that it's just guesswork...
Cylinder 3 is causing the coil pack to blow .. an blowing out the ignition fuse on the inside of the car .that's why it won't start. But also If it's throwing all those codes u probably need a new computer ..I had the same problem ..

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The "crank/no start" trouble list in the shop manual is quite long. These cars are a bit odd in that regard, for example, a dead MAF in most cars will start but run like crap. The SkyActiv-G won't start with a dead MAF; it'll roll over of course but not run.

You need the codes it's throwing to start with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts