Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so on sunday it was REALLY hot outside and this is the 1st time this has happend to me since i got the car (bought it used 2004 I4 5spd) anyway i turned over the key, pushed the clutch in and it wouldnt turn over, the battery is fine and i kept trying it and trying it, maybe 5 mins i pop open the hood to look around didnt touch anything really and the car started, it was pure coincidence that it starts when i popped open the hood, so i didnt think much of it, and today is antoher boiling day outside, im not sure if the heat is playing a factor or not, but its doing the same thing.....

the fuel pump is turning on, all the guages are turning on but when i go to try and start it, nothing! it makes that click sound from inside but it wont turn the engine over!!! im not sure i was thinking it was the clutch switch, but i was pushing it down and checking it with my hand and im pretty sure its fine unless its an internal switch problem? maybe a fuse? i have no idea! please help

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow no one? boo! ah well ok so i went back to my car later today thought it may be the heat, no idea why, but anyway it did NOT start again, so i push/jump started it and it finally started after the 2nd attempt so i drove it home 15 mins or so drive and i let it run for a bit cause i was almost 100% sure it was not gonna start again once i shut it off, but low n behold it actually started up again, i started it , turned it off and started it again a couple times and it starts now......

what the hell could the problem be? me thinks its the starter :(

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The clicking sound is usually an indicator of the starter not getting enough juice. Whether it be from a bad battery or a bad starter solenoid, I think youre on to it. Though I'd get the battery checked out first just to make sure.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
+1 on the battery. it's one of the most common issues with the car, for whatever reason many many people have issues with batteries, stock in particular, seeming good but in reality they are not.

basic rule, if you can jump it, it's typically battery related. now, it could be the charging system, not the actual battery....but the reason the car isn't starting on it's own at that moment is a low charge in the battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i just changed out my spark plugs and i just swapped out my battery with a different battery just to see how diff it would be, well the swapped out battery started up much better then my old stock battery and well at the beginning of starting the car...the idle is around 500rpm's and drops to around 400 and bak up to 500, does this a few times for about 10 seconds then stops..why is it doign that? maybe cause of the spark plugs i changed out?

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
not quite sure i get it, but remember when you replace the battery you are resetting the ecu, so it relearns a lot of stuff. which may lead to some odd happenings for a couple days until it's back up to par.

Reactions: Viper_05
1 - 6 of 6 Posts