Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heres the deal. The car has only started twice in the last four days. I just got done putting engine back in car. I did a timing job, new spark plugs catch can and stretched springs in coilpacks, new TMIC, test pipe and intake. The only time the car started and had any sort of idle at all was when a friend had the MAF out of the intake and was blowing on it while I was feathering the throttle. I actually also just got the car to start a little with a very high rpm which was jumping around quite a bit by moving the MAF around. Its obvious that the MAF is trying to compensate for some other problem.

-Heres what I do know. The car is not throwing codes at least that are seen on DH
-The MAF is new now
-Spark plugs are getting spark as I pulled one while cranking car to check for spark
-Fuel rail is seeing fuel pressure
- I hooked up compressor to engine to check for leaks and none detected.

Someone please offer me some advice as to what the hell is going on here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled engine to replace clutch and flywheel which im also having a pile of issues with as well. but thats a different story. Timing job I mean replaced the chain, tensioner, actuator..

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
you could have a big leak somewhere, is your pcv hooked up. i know one time when my pcv hose slipped off the intake manifold it kept stalling out as soon as it started up and the only way to keep it running was to give it gas. i'd check all your hoses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive checked the hoses. I even took the OCC off the car and put OEM ocv pipe back on. THe car runs with the freakin MAF turned backwards. But now I am having massive tranny issues. Im so over it. I have no more energy to figure out how to fix this fucking car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Timing job I mean replaced the chain, tensioner, actuator..
How did you set your timing with the new parts? I stole this from MSF, there's a thread posted there labeled "My MS6 VVT and chain fix (with an Added issue)" that has pretty specific details/info:

-You should unbolt both cams so the sprockets are loose (preferably)
-Put chain in place
-Pull tensioner pin
-Check for even tensioner in all parts of chain, up top in between the cams, below down by the oil pump sprocket
-With Cam alignment tool in place tighten the sprockets down
-Pull alignment tool. You will notice the exhaust cam stays 100% but the intake cam moves counterclockwise or in the direction of engine movement. <- Which I dont like. Stupid Mazda Engineers
-Preferably put crank sprocket in place and bolt it down lightly and rotate engine 2 full turns to check for valve clearance and at that time the tensioner may become more tense.
-Use impact or other method to break the crank sprocket loose and reinstall front cover or if timing is off repeat above procedure.
-Now with front cover in place install crank sprocket (making sure you place the sprocket in position for TDC!
-Reinstall all pulleys and belt as well as crank position sensor. Be mindful when installing and removing this sensor as it has the capability of advancing and retarding timing. It needs to be exactly where it was when you removed it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hah, figures. Sorry man... sounds like you've got spark and fuel. Too many simultaneous changes means a huge headache for sure. :-/

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow, sounds like a big troubleshooting headache. I sympathize.
So many variables...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im actually starting to believe thats just the thing. Apparently this computer has a hard time adjusting to too many variables being changed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im having same issue now.. my car been in the garage for 2 weeks. after a engine wash, car starts and stalls 1-4 seconds, with the MAF unplug it runs and dies when i plug the MAF back in. i tried other MAF sensors same thing. i need my car back please help! im thinking its the pcm idk. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Amonx
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing