Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've tried searching the forums for some answers, and I'm still uncertain about the problem. A little background info. Every time I was on the freeway, my car would throw a CEL and I'd lose considerable power when going uphill. The codes read "multiple misfiring of cylinders" and "oxygen sensor inactive" and running lean. I took it to the mechanic who did some diagnostics. He said he found no leaks, and my car was still driveable so I drove it home. Later that night I disconnected my battery to replace a headlight. When I reconnected it, the car kept stalling. I would start it up and it would stall within 2 seconds (unless I kept my foot on the pedal). Oh and on a side note, when I reconnected the battery, my dash started going crazy as well. Many of the gauges didn't function and there were lots and lots of lights (but I think this is because my battery's almost dead... correct?) I'm thinking it might be the mass air flow sensor since the mechanic didn't find any leaks. Suggestions? Thanks in advance everyone.

Oh and my car's a 2003 with 94k miles on it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Do you still have your original spark plugs? If yes, I would replace your spark plugs, clean your maf, replace your air filter, and clean your throttle body. That can be done for what $50? Including buying spark plugs, throttle body cleaner, and electrical cleaner. That's weird your car is stalling out. Sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A little background info. Every time I was on the freeway, my car would throw a CEL and I'd lose considerable power when going uphill. The codes read "multiple misfiring of cylinders"
If you keep doing this you'll eventually end up with a failed cat.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you still have your original spark plugs? If yes, I would replace your spark plugs, clean your maf, replace your air filter, and clean your throttle body. That can be done for what $50? Including buying spark plugs, throttle body cleaner, and electrical cleaner. That's weird your car is stalling out. Sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak.
+1 i agree. do that and if it doesn't work i wouldn't keep driving it around.

If you keep doing this you'll eventually end up with a failed cat.
+1 again. you dont want to risk that. blowing your cat and maybe your engine is much worse than what problems your having now. just be careful

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll go ahead and change the spark plugs and clean my maf sensor and see if that helps. Also, to give a little more info, when I'm on the freeway crusing at around 70, my car will lose power and slow down a lot.. so I'll downshift to try to get back to 70, but the car won't really gain any speed. This is the loss of power I was talking about earlier. However, if I stay downshifted long enough, the power will suddenly kick back in (around 5-6k rpm).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just put a turbo in my 6i and i'm having the same issue.. the stalling doesnt happen often but the loss of power at high speed and when driving uphill happens all the time!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sounds like one or more failed coilpacks. Have you washed your engine lately or done some work on / around the spark plugs?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like one or more failed coilpacks. Have you washed your engine lately or done some work on / around the spark plugs?
Tell me more. What about the spark plugs? Like changing them? Because I'm having similar problems. But not the power/speed lose yet. Check out my post "I'm Truely Baffed....... " Maybe you might have some valuable info for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts