Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 6s makes a squealing noise sometimes when starting. Pretty sure it's from the clutch. After it starts it doesn't make any unusual noises.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (Skaj @ Jul 3 2008, 02:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1382631
My '04 6s makes a squealing noise sometimes when starting. Pretty sure it's from the clutch. After it starts it doesn't make any unusual noises.

Any ideas?[/b]
Clutch dust in the starter. Extremely common. I had my starter replaced under warranty and it went away, only to come back a year later or so. Doesn't seem to affect the starter. Some on the forum have used compressed air to try and blow out the dust, but I don't remember if it worked. Search for dust in starter and you'll probably pull up a few threads.

·
Registered
780 Posts
QUOTE (dfw6er @ Jul 3 2008, 12:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1382640
Clutch dust in the starter. Extremely common. I had my starter replaced under warranty and it went away, only to come back a year later or so. Doesn't seem to affect the starter. Some on the forum have used compressed air to try and blow out the dust, but I don't remember if it worked. Search for dust in starter and you'll probably pull up a few threads.[/b]

+1 I have the same problem and its been that way for thousands of miles now. mines was out of warranty when this started, but I just changed my clutch and the starter very very dirty. I cleaned it with alchohol,and looks just like new. OP, Ill get back to you to confirm if this remedies the problem (Ill have my car finished up by this weekend or so)

·
Registered
780 Posts
just to follow up, I cleaned all the clutch dust in the starter with alcohol, but I'm still getting the squels in the morning. I should have just bought another starter like another member had and replaced it when i had it out.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (jaysonday @ Jul 14 2008, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1389849
just to follow up, I cleaned all the clutch dust in the starter with alcohol, but I'm still getting the squels in the morning. I should have just bought another starter like another member had and replaced it when i had it out.[/b]

Well, it'll just come back in a year two...IIRC, Sigma had been through a few starters and it always came back. Since I just had this ridiculously loud exhaust installed over the weekend, you can't even hear my starter squeal any longer. So if you hate the squeal, upgrade the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (Macs&Mazdas @ Jul 14 2008, 03:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1389990
I would think if you put a better clutch in and then replace the starter, it would not come back. It only comes back because our stock clutches are crap.[/b]

This may be the case, but I don't recall if anybody here who put in a spec or clutch masters or other aftermarket clutch ever had this issue. Maybe some folks will chime in and help put this issue to rest. Speak up, people!

·
Registered
780 Posts
QUOTE (fly757 @ Jul 14 2008, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1390025
Does it make more sense to diassemble the starter and try cleaning the parts off? Or just replace the whole starter?[/b]

You could give it a shot, I sprayed a lot of alcohol in a squirt bottle to clean it out. There was a lot of dust when i took it out, so there may have been some all the way in there

·
Registered
734 Posts
replaced starter with my clutch and guess wat it came back.... dfw when you gonna be up this way so i can check out your exhaust and we can have a few brewski's?

·
Registered
734 Posts
spec stage 2+

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The sound you are hearing is the starter gear getting hung in the flywheel ring gear. Once the engine starts, the flywheel is then spinning the starter gear (very fast) and is sounds like a ratchet being spun around. Mine has done the same thing for years - I'm surprise the starter hasn't failed. Dirt from the clutch is only part of the problem. The starter solenoid pushes the starter gear into the ring gear. A spring than retracts the starter gear once the key is released and the solenoid is de-energized (in theory). Normally, the backside of the starter gear teeth are cut in such a way that the pressure from the ring gear (once the engine is running) assists in pushing the starter gear back. Obviously, this isn't working for many of us.

Cleaning will help, but then you need to lubricate the starter shaft that the gear rides on to keep it moving in and out smoothly. I currently have mine apart and will be looking at it to see if I can place a shim under the spring to stiffen it up. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (markyb @ Jul 16 2008, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1391782
replaced starter with my clutch and guess wat it came back.... dfw when you gonna be up this way so i can check out your exhaust and we can have a few brewski's?[/b]

Well, you're not going to Frontier City later this summer are you? I think I read ya'll have a baby on the way. I might go up for that.
I need to do some continuing education for my license and certifications on a regular basis and work will pay for it, so if I see an interesting conference up in Tulsa, I'll PM you. Tulsa's a big enough town to draw some of the bigger CME conferences, so I can pretty much count on making it up there in the next year.

·
Registered
734 Posts
nope wont be at frontier city baby isnt the reason tho. just conserving vaca time for when baby is born ok so ya it is cause of baby...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
midastech390
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing