Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:swearin:

My wifes car is a 2005 Mazda 6. We just bought it 6 months ago w/ and extended warranty. The warranty aparently doesn't cover squat, so im coming here to see if what the mechanic says checks out.

Problem: Car shakes at a stoplight when in drive and im braking. If i put it in neutral the shaking stops a lot, but does not go away completely.
Mechanic Solution:Worn (not broken) motor and trans mounts : Trans mounts...GK2E-39-070E & GN3B-39-04XA. Engine mount GM9B-39-060.

He says this will stop the shaking?

Problem: It has bad 1st to 2nd shift shock in the morning when it's cold. Tranny fliud is garbage.
Mechanic Solution:He wants to flush it and says that will fix it. He wants $52 for fluid, $63 for a filter, and $165 to flush it. Thats $280. LOL

Anyone got an opinion? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most certainly sems like a motor mounts issue.

The extended warranty wouldn't cover that? Is it just a powertrain warranty?

How many miles on your wife's car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (21drfrank @ Feb 3 2010, 02:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634557

How many miles on your wife's car?[/b]
Fidelity National......they suck. The dealer sold it to us as a "bumper to bumper" warranty. 6 months later upon using it, they wont replace motor mounts because it wasn't a "failure".

Upon other things they wont replace a cv joint because the "boot" was cracked. They wont fix my shift shock because the trans disnt "fail". All they will replace is my LED display which is out. And even then they will only credit $350 bux, and the part alone costs that much without labor. LOL Total scam. I'm having the dealership refund my 2 grand.

So anyhow, motor moutns and CV joints dont sound like a fun job, so i'm gonna have top spend some cash. The shop wants $1,600 for everything.

Anyone have a writeup on changing motor mounts? I'd like to at least look into it. The only cars i work on are my mustang and tahoe, both mid 90's. LOL This engine bay looks intimidating to me.

QUOTE (xxxmonoxidechild @ Feb 3 2010, 03:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634573
yup. sounds like a failed motor or trans mount. and if you bought an extended warranty, it should be covered.[/b]
both actually. The breakdown has 2 trans mounts, and 1 motor. But they didnt "fail" so it isnt covered. I guess you have to snap them in 1/2 or something. :laugh:

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (21drfrank @ Feb 3 2010, 02:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634557

How many miles on your wife's car?[/b]
My car only has 54,000 miles on it... starting to wonder why I bought this POS!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Wow!! $1600 just to swap out 3 mounts and the axles. The parts alone are around $3-400 depending where you buy them. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined the mount replacement is pretty straight forward. That alone will save you a few hundred in labor.
As for the axles it is not really a ''complicated'' job, but if you are a newb to mechanics experienced help would definitely be needed. GL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Mazda6007 @ Feb 3 2010, 03:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634580
Wow!! $1600 just to swap out 3 mounts and the axles. The parts alone are around $3-400 depending where you buy them. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined the mount replacement is pretty straight forward. That alone will save you a few hundred in labor.
As for the axles it is not really a ''complicated'' job, but if you are a newb to mechanics experienced help would definitely be needed. GL[/b]
$1,600 for transflush, new trans filter, 3 mounts, 1 cv joint, and the LED panel being replaced......but still.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
QUOTE (JohnnyBlazed @ Feb 3 2010, 05:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634583
$1,600 for transflush, new trans filter, 3 mounts, 1 cv joint, and the LED panel being replaced......but still.[/b]
IDK seems like too much for me...but probably what all the jobs cost by the book when you add them up.

Still a flush is around $100 and the filter about $30. If I were you I'd just change the filter myself, do a few drain a fills. Slap a magnefine tranny filter on it. Swap out the mounts and LCD .And if the CV axle is too complicated for you, just pay for that.

You may end up with a few bloody knuckles... but also with an easy extra $800 in your pocket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Mazda6007 @ Feb 3 2010, 04:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634587
IDK seems like too much for me...but probably what all the jobs cost by the book when you add them up.

Still a flush is around $100 and the filter about $30. If I were you I'd just change the filter myself, do a few drain a fills. Slap a magnefine tranny filter on it. Swap out the mounts and LCD .And if the CV axle is too complicated for you, just pay for that.

You may end up with a few bloody knuckles... but also with an easy extra $800 in your pocket.[/b]
ya, i think im just going to have him do the C.V. ($100 parts and $150labor), and the 3 mounts ($275 parts, $198 labor)

He wants $280 for a trans flush and filter, so he can go fly a kite. I can get that done for $120 at jiffy lube.

I'll oRder the LED from mazdapartscenter.com for $240 and install it myself.

That gets me down to $1,100 or so, still sucks, but better than $1600.

DO NOT BUY A FIDELITY WARRANTY!!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
Definitely look around for that tranny flush. I have a manual tranny that has been drained and re-filled a couple times at big-o tires, which was only $50. I have had them do some coolant flushes as well and have had 0 issues with them. Yours is an auto so an actual flush and filter is obviously alot more expensive. But I remember the price at big-o was around $150 for an auto tranny flush and filter replacement. I personally would NEVER take my car to jiffy lube because of all their horror stories. You can certainly do the motor mounts pretty simple as long as you have jack stands and a jack. I have no idea how easy or hard the CV joints will be. But you can definitely get a cheaper tranny flush and do the motor mounts yourself. There is a how-to on replacing the motor mounts on the "other" mazda 6 website, I won't mention the name but google and you can probably find it. Everyone on here is alot of help too so rest assured you will have help if you run into issues.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Don't pay him to do those mmount and cv. You'd be better off just replacing the whole axle. I have how-to for all those jobs....except the tranny flush.

Hit up the engiine and drivetrain section of the DUY board on 6crew. Should have everything you need

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses. I will hceck those other boards for the how-to's. The motor mounts dont sound too hard. I think I'll just pay for the CV, dont feel like getting into it.

Anyone got a direct link to any writeups? It's be much appreciated. PM me if needs be. Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It's not just Fidelity, it's all the third party warranty that's a total rip off. There's always a fine print somewhere.
I filed a claim for my suspension, struts are covered but not the strut tower and the mechanic said it's the tower that needs to be replaced.WTF....
I ended up paying diagnosis for a job that never took place

·
Registered
109 Posts
i just replaced the passanger cv axle on my car. took a total of 1.5hrs and part only cost me $45, father in law is a napa manager so parts are cheap. Job could be a bit difficult if you dont have the proper tools, especially torquing the axle nut.

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (seigfredm @ Feb 4 2010, 06:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634890
It's not just Fidelity, it's all the third party warranty that's a total rip off. There's always a fine print somewhere.
I filed a claim for my suspension, struts are covered but not the strut tower and the mechanic said it's the tower that needs to be replaced.WTF....
I ended up paying diagnosis for a job that never took place[/b]
Yes, they're total scams. Do you guys and gals receive Clark Howard on the AM radio? He's a syndicated talk show consumer guru, but he has a website too. He'll tell you about these "warranties" (and that includes for your home and appliances too).

In fact, did you ever notice how every time you turn around, somebody wants to sell you insurance? (and that's all a warranty is).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts