Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about two weeks ago my car didnt start, so i thought it was the battery since it was about that time to get a new one. well, i bought a new battery and it still does it periodically. i noticed that it only does it in the mornings when the temperature is a little chilly. well, one day it wasnt starting so i pumped the gas pedal a couple times and it started right up. well this morning, it wasnt starting again, and i tried the gas pedal thing and it still doesnt start....anybody else had this problem? i'm thinking its one of these issues : starter, fuel injectors, or maybe even spark plugs. any suggestions? HELP!

11/28/06- finally got my car back after 3 weeks...and it started fine this morning....:keeps fingers crossed:, turns out it was the pcm.

·
Registered
605 Posts
about two weeks ago my car didnt start, so i thought it was the battery since it was about that time to get a new one. well, i bought a new battery and it still does it periodically. i noticed that it only does it in the mornings when the temperature is a little chilly. well, one day it wasnt starting so i pumped the gas pedal a couple times and it started right up. well this morning, it wasnt starting again, and i tried the gas pedal thing and it still doesnt start....anybody else had this problem? i'm thinking its one of these issues : starter, fuel injectors, or maybe even spark plugs. any suggestions? HELP!
[/b]
When the car don't start. Does the engine turn over? If not do you have power to the lights, radio etc.
If there is is not power to the car. Check the battery cable. It may be loose.

I had that problem on my 02 Sunfire a few weeks ago. The car was not getting power. It was when it got cold the first time this year.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah, forgot to mention that....YES it does turn over, but it just doesnt start. my lights,radio,interior lights,etc all turn on fine.

·
Registered
605 Posts
oh yeah, forgot to mention that....YES it does turn over, but it just doesnt start. my lights,radio,interior lights,etc all turn on fine.
[/b]
When it don't start does the fuel pump on when trying the key on.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dunno. i'll have to try when i get home.

edit: ok, now that you mentioned the fuel pump, i did a search and this seems to be a common problem....is this covered under warranty? yeah right?

·
Registered
605 Posts
dunno. i'll have to try when i get home.

edit: ok, now that you mentioned the fuel pump, i did a search and this seems to be a common problem....is this covered under warranty? yeah right?
[/b]
If your car is still under warranty. It should be covered.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How cold does it get over there in the morining?? Maybe switch it up to a higher cold cranking amp battery!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesnt get THAT cold here. but the battery is fine. i got power, its fuel or spark that it seems that i'm not getting enough of

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If the car is cranking over, it isnt the battery. The starter is pretty much the biggest power puller, and if it is working, everything else should be too.

Do you have any codes?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i did have a code but by the time i went to autozone for them to check it, the code had went away. this happened twice.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Just a general rule as a lot of people try and help who have no idea what they are talking about and make random guesses, btw this is not just for this post, but in general related to battery vs starter vs whatever...

If the car is not starting but it is cranking (turning over, as he said it did) it can not be the starter as thats the starter doing the turning... logical i know.

Secondly, if its starting or turning over, it also can not be the battery as the battery powers up the starter... so now thats ruled out...

So if all that is working, what else do you need for an ignition... fuel and a spark. Im no expert, far from it but don't help if you dont know what are you are talkinga about.

Now, had he said the car was NOT turning over, a GOOD indication if its the battery is if he has all the gagues working and lights etc.... if those are on and you only hear a click click or nothing, then its most likely the starter. If there are no lights, no gagues, OR the car is turning over but maybe barely, like one turn over at a time and no power for the second, then its probably the battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a general rule as a lot of people try and help who have no idea what they are talking about and make random guesses, btw this is not just for this post, but in general related to battery vs starter vs whatever...
If the car is not starting but it is cranking (turning over, as he said it did) it can not be the starter as thats the starter doing the turning... logical i know.
Secondly, if its starting or turning over, it also can not be the battery as the battery powers up the starter... so now thats ruled out...

So if all that is working, what else do you need for an ignition... fuel and a spark. Im no expert, far from it but don't help if you dont know what are you are talkinga about.
Now, had he said the car was NOT turning over, a GOOD indication if its the battery is if he has all the gagues working and lights etc.... if those are on and you only hear a click click or nothing, then its most likely the starter. If there are no lights, no gagues, OR the car is turning over but maybe barely, like one turn over at a time and no power for the second, then its probably the battery.
[/b]
Pretty close, and more than likely accurate for you bluelion. In *rare* cases, it is possible to have lights, accessories and have the starter turn, but the battery doesn't have enough juice to provide enough of a spark. However, since you have a new battery, I'd have a hard time believing this is the problem.

It seems most likely it's something in the fuel sytem, my guess would be the fuel pump. They can go out with only periodical problems, whereas with a filter or injectors, you would notice a problem all the time (acceleration and power would be lacking). My advice, take it to a mechanic and get them to check it out. It's nice to know what kind of problem you're having, but honestly, if you're asking these questions, you probably are not going want to repair this kind of problem yourself. Believe me, if it's the fuel pump, getting someone else to do it is worth the money. Even better if it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
of course. my car has been at the dealer since sunday night ( i dropped it off). my car started right up on monday but it didnt start this morning. so they're keeping it one more night to monitor it with a fuel pressure regulator. so we'll see whats up tomorrow. i'll update when i find out what it was

·
Registered
542 Posts
[/b]
Cranking amps are the numbers of amperes a lead-acid battery at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12 volt battery). In other words, CA/cranking amps determine how much power you have to start your car in most climates. The basic job of a battery is to start an engine; it must crank, or rotate the crankshaft while at the same time maintain sufficient voltage to activate the ignition system until the engine fires and maintains rotation. This requirement involves a high discharge rate in amperes for a short period of time. Since it is more difficult for a battery to deliver power when it is cold, and since the engine requires more power to turn over when it is cold, the Cold Cranking rating is defined as: The number of amperes a lead-acid battery at 0 degrees F (-17.8 degrees C) can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). In other words, CCA/cold cranking amps determine how much power you have to start your car on cold winter mornings.

·
Registered
103 Posts
of course. my car has been at the dealer since sunday night ( i dropped it off). my car started right up on monday but it didnt start this morning. so they're keeping it one more night to monitor it with a fuel pressure regulator. so we'll see whats up tomorrow. i'll update when i find out what it was
[/b]
One thing to ask them to check if it is a fuel system problem is the fuel pump relay. I have seen them cause intermittent problems on several vehicles where they were getting some wear on the contacts and some times they would provide enough power to the pump to start the engine and other times they wouldn't. Fuel pumps can go bad too, but check the easy cheap things first. I have seen fuel pumps replaced that may or may not have been the true problem.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well its all under warranty but i'll defintely have them check that. thanks

One thing to ask them to check if it is a fuel system problem is the fuel pump relay. I have seen them cause intermittent problems on several vehicles where they were getting some wear on the contacts and some times they would provide enough power to the pump to start the engine and other times they wouldn't. Fuel pumps can go bad too, but check the easy cheap things first. I have seen fuel pumps replaced that may or may not have been the true problem.
[/b]

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i'm scheduled to get my car back today. they told me it was the computer. they took it off, and put it in the refrigerator for a bit to cool it off, then installed it and my car didnt start. so, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
new puter?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts