Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i bought a new battery and the problem went away, maybe it was all a coincidence....then i had the car starting no problem for a week, untill again this morning and again after work... i can jump start it by pushing it and it will fire no problem and run no problem the entire time, everything works fine, all the guages, the a/c...radio..etc...

so im now only to think its the starter? what else could it be?!?!? please help thank you!!!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
alternator, bad connection or POSSIBLY the starter.

only reason it could be the starter would be if it was intermittent and a little blow by a hammer/mallet got it going again....OR it was dying and needed a really high CCA battery to get it going and after a week the new battery isn't there anymore. in which case, answer one is more likely, and it's just dying.

not sure how it works on the 6, but in my day, i'd just start the car and let it run for a sec. disconnect the battery completely and turn on my radio and lights and see if the car would die. after a couple minutes at idle on the alternator alone it died when the alternator was going out. the new alternator was good all day like that. again, that was on my old civic...our electronics are a bit more difficult, so not sure 100% here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i dont think its the alternator....the car was starting all week like i said and i was driving it for hours and it was fine, everything was full power had the a/c running on blast for over an hr on a trip, seems fine, so yea i think the starter....i push started it again just before and i had my own theory, tell me what you think.... i got the engine running and i remember that sometimes when ppl try and start the car while the engine is already running, it will make a loud noise from the starter? am i right so far?

so i got it running and tried to start it while the engine was running, not a single noise from the starter or anything, but the engine kept running fine, so that is my own diagnosis, please tell me how accurate this method of mine is

thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i would try jumping the car with cables. if the car consistantly doesn't start, then try cables instead of a push start. if the cables work, you know it's more power related then starter.

if it still doesn't work, then you have your answer

·
Registered
204 Posts
I feel for you; this is a terrible problem. Makes you afraid to drive the car anywhere. I had an old Mustang like that. Know what it was--a firewall problem! The mechanic (the 10th one I went too, it seemed) took two small blocks of wood--placed one on either side of the firewall (one under the dash, the other on the engine compartment side) and tightened them together with screws and nuts. I'm not kidding. Solved the problem, too. This was about 35 years ago, though...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol thats a good one! ok so whoever cared to know....it was the starter! changed it and fixed the problem car is fine now!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 Mazda 6 occasionally not starting

:mad:i am having a similar problem wiith my 2009 Mazda 6. It just periodically will not start, no rhyme or reason. i had it checked and the battery and alternator are fine. It is very random. This morning it started when i left home and then i stopped to get some coffee, came out less than 5 mins later and it would not start. It does start if jumped though which makes no sense since the battery is reading full charge.

any suggestions - it has been to the dealer 3 times and they say it is fine, ie they can not reproduce it

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may be a related problem with my 2009 Mazda 6. Under 20K miles. My wife was heading down the entry ramp to the interstate when the ignition died. Coasted over to the shoulder. Tried many times to restart the car. The lights would come on, flashers worked, power windows worked, etc. But nothing in the ignition system worked, including the starter. It made no attempt to turn over.

Called the free 800 Mazda roadside assistance (which, BTW, really works great). They towed the car to the dealer. Once off the flatbed, the car started right up as if nothing had ever happened. The car is still at the dealer to sort out what could have caused this, since she doesn't want to be driving around again and suddenly have the car go dead on her, especially at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It could be the anti theft system (chip recognize), some 90's model chevys had this problem, when you try to start the car it doesn't start because the computer doesn't recognize the chip in the key. Just a guess though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts