Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just getting on the interstate a couple of days ago and saw a semi infront of me dropping snow, ice, whatever off the trailer. Not wanting to be around that, I gun it. I'm in 3rd gear and notice much less power than usual, but it's climbing. By around 6K, my car has no power and can't accelerate anymore. I shift to 4th and it takes off. I notice the engine light flash a few times and nothing more.

It was cold and the car had only run for 3-4 minutest prior to that. It has roughly 7k miles and has NEVER done anything like that before. I called Mazda service and in thier infinate wisdom, told me it was the rev-limiter and that it starts shutting off fuel at 4500 RPM. I called bullshit, that my redline wasn't til 6500 and rev limiter isn't until about 7k. By now, I'm in a parking lot and he tells me it kicks in at 4500 with no load (now making more shit up). So I rev it and say "Here this? "This is my car at 6 grand parked in a parking lot in nuetral and purring like a kitten!" Then he says to keep an eye on it and he'll have his tech guy try to find something before I take it in to get the squeaky seatbelt and broken lumbar fixed.

These guys aren't giving me a warm fuzzy on working on my car. Enough about crappy Mazda techs...

Anyone else have this happen and/or know what it is?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Lol, 4,500K rev limiter.. haha.

I have heard somone else say that while the car is warming up that its in some loop mode, and that the rev limiter is lower... But... i have admitedliy gunned my car once or twice withou letting it warm up first (not from a dead start but a minute or two, quarter way up. No redlineing but still easily past 4.5K.

I would say tranny problems, possible clutch slip or not all the way in, or it got kicked out while driving. I've had 2nd fly out when i didnt shift properly once, but doubt that it since it was climbing. It would be grinding if it wasnt in right. Not really sure.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just be shure to always let youre car warm up befor driving it. It may just be youre car was cold. Ive heard of people having problems with cars running weird when they dont let them warm up. Just my thought.
[/b]
I agree, its not a good idea to gun it in the cold weather before the car gets up to temp. I give the car 10 mins to warm up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree, its not a good idea to gun it in the cold weather before the car gets up to temp. I give the car 10 mins to warm up.
[/b]
I never gun my car as soon as I start driving even after I warm it up. I take it easy at first. for the warm up though, I let it sit and wait patiently until the needle of the oil pressure rises and clears the big "C". after that I start driving keeping it slow. recomd to everybody, even though my friends laugh at me when I do that no matter how recently I had driven the car.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Sounds like a cyl misfire to me too. That would make it perform like crap. Not only would it feel worse than a 4 cyl, but it would cause limping due to the fact that it detects a problem

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will accept misfire, but not the tranny as the cause of it. The only thing is, where would the misfire come from?

Sam

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I will say this....

One time in my old 6S I was driving down the road about 50 MPH in 3rd around 4-5K..... giving it VERY little gas... (was about to gun it... getting ready to pass someone).... but I could find the right time....

I was sitting at that RPM giving minimal gas for maybe 15-20 seconds.... and before I had a chance to gun it the CEL began flashing very fast....

I figure this was my fault driver error.... running very very lean...

But if you were all on the gas it should have gone :)

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
the v6 will misfire if you rev to 6k & engine is not warmed up.
just the charac. of the car.

not heard of a misfire at 4.5k though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
chikoo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing