Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about a quarter way through my July 2003 issue of Car & Driver, and I must say that I am having a ball reading it. These writers for C&D are simply hiliarious in how they make light of even the worse situations. Plus their imaginative description of sounds and appearances can’t be beat byany other auto magazine.

Anyway, I figured I’d share some highlights I liked about the magazine issue so far.

Ferrari Enzo
Is this car for real, or is it just something out of a wet dream that doesn’t exist? Everything about this car seems so other worldly, that I don’t even know how someone can feel safe driving it everyday. I’d be scared to have some old lady hit me. 0-60 in 3.3 seconds! 0-130 in 10.3 seconds! 650 BHP w/ 485 lbTorque! And a sticker price of $659,430. Oh, and brake pads cost $6000, and an oil change costs $800.

My favorite quote:
”Form behind the harmonic cadence of 12 pistons fed by 48 valves is packed into the whistling suck of the carbon fiber shrouded intake and the sonorous throb from the quad tailpipes. The sound swirls up your eardrums and does shiatsu on the pleasure centers of the brain. It’s a P-51 Mustang on a full throttle pass, it’s a Stradivarius in the hands of Heifetz, it’s 9000 copies of the EPA ‘Fuel Economy Guide’ being simultaneously ripped in half.

LOL

·
Registered
334 Posts
Reading Topic: Car & Driver July 2003

800 dollar oil change? wtf they put in there? plantinum with my a side order of a hot italian chick?????

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Shit, I wonder what a clutch costs, guess I'm not doing burn outs with that car.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Apparently the Enzo uses a high-tech type of oil which costs $60 per quart. Since the car required 12.2 quarts of the stuff, you can see the total comes out to $700-$800 for an oil change.

Also, if the owner puts anything else into it, it will void the warranty and could cause engine damage. Ferrari estimates a replacement engine to cost about $200,000.

I wonder if C&D changed the guy's oil for him at least? They funny thing is that ferrari gave C&D a hard time about testing a factory owned Enzo iN Europe. They only let their F1 driver behind the wheel apparently, and he wasn't available. How snobish....

So C&D located an Enzo owner in North Carolina willing to let them test it. Then again, the next article I'm reading is about a new Lambroghini, and C&D accidentally broke the shifter off .... twice! (first time was a couple years on another Lambo).

I guess Ferrari Inc. is scared athow hard C&D drives cars.... I love this mag.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Car & Driver July 2003'

Originally posted by Blackbird

Sounds like something Tiff Nidell would have said... :)[/b]
That dude is cool. We don't get that program in the U.S, but I downloaded a few clips from various cars. My favorite was the RS4! Wooohooo!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Yeah he is somewhat crazy... And he always have these witty descriptions... He described the Nissan Skyline GT-R as a "40000 pound Playstation" :D I have quite many clips on my computer with him... We have BBC here but I never see him... No.. I saw him once.. in 4 seconds.. then the end text started rolling :)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

And yeah.. Swedish public service radio channel "P3" had a "summer program" a couple of years ago. They had a test panel... One time they tested sports cars... They managed to breake the gear lever linkage on a brand new Maserati GT coupé :D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Car & Driver July 2003'

Originally posted by Blackbird

Yeah he is somewhat crazy... And he always have these witty descriptions... He described the Nissan Skyline GT-R as a "40000 pound Playstation" :D I have quite many clips on my computer with him... We have BBC here but I never see him... No.. I saw him once.. in 4 seconds.. then the end text started rolling :)[/b]
That was Jeremy Clarkson with the Playstation line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts