Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an article in the June 2002 magazine about the 6.

Other Stuff:

C/D-estimated performance (V-6 5-sp auto)
0-60: 8.0sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 16.2sec
Top Speed (drag limited): 130mph
Curb Weight: 3050-3350 pounds

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
1. It's just an estimate isnt' it?
2. It's with the automatic.
3. With Mazda, it's not about how fast you can go in a straight line, it's how fast you can go through the twisties, and how much fun you can have.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Car & Driver: 0-60 in 8.0 sec'

yea it better be much faster than that. it better be in the high 6 second range for the auto and mid 6 seconds for the manual, or they wont even be contenders

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I REALLY doubt that it will get those numbers from the factory. I just have this feeling. Thats sorta why im interested in the mods: I/H/E or anything else to add boost.

Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts

Well if Mazda is going to really go with the zoom zoom image they better make the engine to back itup. If automativ 24v jettas are running high 14's with cai and exhaust mods only, the 6 better be a very low 15 second car. It looks great and from what i hear it handels amazingly, but if there is no go power, then alot of people are going to be buying altimas camrys and accords. They need a niche factor.

·
Registered
87 Posts

This is 8 seconds for a full size passenger car, that is, a car that is the equivalent of the Honda Accord, and Toyota Camry. If this car is fast, it should be compared to the Honda Accord V6, or the Nissan Altima 3.5, the two examples of comparable passenger cars that are V6 engined and the same price. If you're comparing this car to say, a Mustang, you're way out of your league.

·
Registered
577 Posts

16.2 in the 1/4 mile isnt all that bad for a 5 speed automatic with only 219HP.... Once you get I/H/E on the engine, I can see that time dropping down to mid 15's which is still respectable for an automatic sedan.

If you want the real performance, opt for the 5 speed manual and your 1/4 mile time should drop significanlty, even for the stock edition.

Plus, Mazda isnt all about straight line acceleration. A Mazda6 should be able to eat up an Altima in the twisties with no problem at all. And to me, that is what the Zoom Zoom is all about.....

The Mazda6 Ownz Joo In Da Twiztiez..........

Nikolas

·
Registered
70 Posts

16.2 is horrible for a car with 5-speed auto and 219 hp. its only 21hp shy of the 3.5se altima which runs a 14.9. automatic jettas are runnig low 15's stock. I have a feeling that the 6 will be down there somewhere, c/d estimates are usually way off

·
Registered
577 Posts

21hp shy yes, but almost 50ft lbs of torque less....Torque is what really helps heavy sedans run fast times......

But again, I go back to the fact that Mazda isnt building this car to beat the Altima in a 1/4 mile drag race......

Nikolas

·
Registered
577 Posts

The Ownz Joo in Da twiztiez part is a joke...... if no one caught on to that...

Just a phrase that is often used on import message boards.....

Nikolas

·
Registered
38 Posts

I don't know about the V6, but in the online brochure on the uk mazda site, the 2.3i 5MT version of the Mazda6 does a 0-62 in 9.0 secs. Of course that is test, and a good drag racer should do better than that. This is only the I4 2.3L though...don't know about the V6.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Will North America be the only place where the V6 is going to be?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I'm only guessing here, but I'd say US, Canada and Australia are the only likely markets for the V-6. Maybe this is one of the reasons Mazda went with the Duratec rather than paying all that cash on R&D for their own V-6. Especially since even in the US probably 80% of people buy the 4 cylinder anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts

What I'm wondering is, in the long run will the 4cylinder or the v6 have more aftermarket parts, and which will dominate in the amount of hp gain. Imagine a turbo v6 Mazda6... Holy crapola that would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

People,

I took the 2.3 liter engined Mazda6 for a rather hard testdrive a few weeks ago. I was pretty sure I clocked it somewhere around 7 secs for 0-62 mph. It certainly feels A LOT faster than the official clockings.

I actually think this is a part of the zoom-zoom strategy - let the cars be faster than specs let us think. Giving us that wow-wow feel when whe try the cars out.

And the 2.3 certainly gave that wow-wow to me. (Although I opted for the 2.0 to avoid the 2000$ extra...I know, I'm cheap... :)

The V6 will as far as I know only come to NA, but when you see what we pay for gas in europe (well over a US$ in most cases) you really understand why people opt for engines that don't cost more to drive to work than you earn while you're there...

Steve

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I remember the shock of paying more for a liter (and I mean waaay more) of gas in Europe than a gallon in the US. Sticker shock! It makes driving more of a pleasure thing than here though, because people appreciate it. Maybe that's why there are more fun cars over there.

By the way congratulations on the purchase Steve. Maybe you could post a thread about your full test drive impressions, with a follow up in your own car of course. I hear that the 2.0 is quite peppy as well. Did you find a lot of difference between the 2.0 and 2.3 liter versions?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Actually, I never got to try the 2.0, but I took the chance since it was much more powerful than the 2.0 I have in my present 626.

I can tell you: this is a truly wonderful car. Everything great you've read about it is absolutely true. And then some.

Design: it looks better in reality than in photos. The abscense of corners makes you go around it trying to figure it out. But you can't figure out an element. Earth, wind, fire and...Mazda 6.

Driving: I have one thing to say only: wow. I have driven most cars out there. BMW, Passat, Nissan, Saab, Volvo. This is way better. And I don't say this only because I'm a Mazda fan. This is truly much better than expected. I'm pretty sure that Mazdas competitors will be burning their midnight oil to match this one!

Quality: Again - wow. There are few cars (of any class) that can match the quality feel of the 6. This is a really, really, REALLY good car! It is worth waiting another year or two for you guys who have to - at any cost. Keep your old, too-expensive-old-ones one year too long. I promise, you'll never regret it.

I will tell you more when my car arrives and I get to take it out!

/Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts