Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was getting off the freeway, took the car out of gear as I'm making the big turn on the offramp, when all of a sudden the engine dies, with it the power steering and brakes. So I wrestle the steering wheel to the right as I restart the car, with no problem. But that was pretty scary and ridiculous. This has happened a couple times, the first time I thought it was a weak spark from my stock plugs and my AP flash, but this time I was running the stock map. I'm thinking this might be the sign of a bad alternator or something.
Have any of you guys ever experienced this? I guess the moral of the story is to always keep the car in gear while moving... :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
QUOTE (chisss @ Apr 13 2009, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1547184
Well, you should keep the car in gear... it saves gas believe it or not, when the car idles it uses gas, when you coast in gear it doesn't... look in the DH, or AP.

As far as why it dies? no clue... weird[/b]
Off topic I guess, and I believe you, but unless you are a master at rev-matching downshifts in rapid decel environments (low payoff as engine deceleration in rapid stop to lights, etc., isn't significant without clutch wear), isn't it better to wear your brakes and just decel with them, rather than go through a bunch of effort to work down through the gears? I mean, brakes are really cheap compared to clutch work on these cars?

·
Registered
841 Posts
^^^^
sometimes...
i would agree clutches cost more than brakes but...

lets say im cruising at 50 and ... O SHIT... LIGHT IS RED!!!!
i would rev match down to third or 2nd depending on how fast i was stopping... you will very rarely see me with my car in neutral coasting up to a stop sign or stop light.
if done properly i really dont feel down shifting causes wear...

rev matching down like i just described might use more gas though... but normal engine braking shouldnt.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
QUOTE (priceprince @ Apr 13 2009, 11:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1547183
So today I was getting off the freeway, took the car out of gear as I'm making the big turn on the offramp, when all of a sudden the engine dies, with it the power steering and brakes. So I wrestle the steering wheel to the right as I restart the car, with no problem. But that was pretty scary and ridiculous. This has happened a couple times, the first time I thought it was a weak spark from my stock plugs and my AP flash, but this time I was running the stock map. I'm thinking this might be the sign of a bad alternator or something.
Have any of you guys ever experienced this? I guess the moral of the story is to always keep the car in gear while moving... :)[/b]
Any other idle problems? Sounds like the Idle Speed Control (ISC) solenoid may be a bit too slow or set too low. Could be O2 sensor output, PCV leak or plugged, or any number of other things. Needs a proper hands-on diagnosis for a good fix...

What is your idle speed/vacuum?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Happened to me a few times... Freakin scary on turns because I had to turn the car back ON while I was doing like 40-60mph. Happened maybe half a dozen times. Been a while though. I think it had something to do with the MAF.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This happened to me too, but my car was in gear so it started back up a second later.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I had some problems like that. I thought it was the SB as I had rev1. However with a 900 idle I think that would solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I would think it would be a fuel or spark issue. If it were O2, car would probably just switch to open loop mode. It may be maf related but not sure. If you have a dash hawk or ap, look at your idle maf grams/second, it should sit around 3-4 at idle (these are the numbers i'm used to, but i also have 900rpm idle so yours may vary). Do you have a wot box or anything of the sort wired in? If so, time to quadruple check all your soldering. Jmhinkle ran into a very similar problem, and it turned out to be the ignition box he was using. I'm sure he could explain further.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I don't have any WOT boxes or anything wired in or soldering. I haven't noticed anything unusual with idling, the speed is normal, I'll check the idle MAF g/s. This is one of those things that the dealership would not be able to replicate in a million years, as I haven't had any CELs or anything because of it. Hmm...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Definitley can't hurt to clean you IAT and MAF sensor.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (FezMS6 @ Apr 14 2009, 11:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1547452
it's the same assembly... LBV is just trying to confuzzle you. :)

Clean that whole black piece we call MAF. haha[/b]
But not that tiny delicate little sensor within though, right? I'm totally gonna break it, I just know it. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts