English (I suppose) magazine Car have a big test in their newest issue:

Car: (value of tested car
SAAB 9-3 Vector 2.0t (£23,320)
Volvo S60 2.0T SE (£23,900)
Jaguar X-type 2.0 (£22,995)
BMW 320i SE (£23,315)
Audi A4 1.8T (£23,995)
Mazda 6 2.3 (17,995)

As usual, they keep comparing the 6 with much more expensive cars, and it woulnd't stand a chance you'd think. And as usual in these thests, the 6 is almost last... Cheap feel of the interior (thou I wasn't cheap, just felt cheap... !?) They didn't like the sub in the rear wheel, as you had to disconnect it to open the floor!? They tested the hatch, but in our estate you don't have to disconnect anything to open the floor...

Pros where space and such. It was actually the only car with 5 stars in the practicality round.. Closest where S60 with 4 stars. In the other where BMW. It also, in the "intro" to the test "offers some excellent perspective on the other cars here, especially considering the copious standard kit and low price tag".

Buy and read! Very good test, if it would feature cars in the same class...

The fun part now!

The final result :
1. BMW 320i SE (£23,315)
2. Volvo S60 2.0T SE (£23,900)
3. SAAB 9-3 Vector 2.0t (£23,320)
4. Audi A4 1.8T (£23,995)
5. Mazda 6 2.3 (17,995)
6. Jaguar X-type 2.0 (£22,995)

The 6 actually beats the X-type!!!

They also have a section called "Garage" which seems to be some kind of long-run test on a bunch of cars. There they have a M6 2.3. The guy owning the car said that he wa pulled over by the police just because they where curious about the car :D And some moron motorcyklist in the Alps had hit him and smashed of one of the rear door handles *hate him*

They also have a report from the Paris Mondial De L'Automibile, where they discrive the Accords design : "Qualtiy os obviously high, but the looks are unusual". Isn't that the same as "The car is good but ugly"? :D

I might add that they have a big test with these boring cars as well :D :
Alfa 156 GTA
Audi RS6 Avant
Bently Arnage T
Caterham R300
Ferrari 575M
Ford Focus RS
Honda NSX
Jaguar S-Type R
Lamborghini Murcielago
Lotus Elise 111S
Maserati Coupé
Mercedes SL55 AMG
MG TF 160
Mini Cooper S
Mitsubishi Evo VII FX300
Pagani Zonda C12 S
Porsche Boxter S
Renault Clio Cup
Seat Leon Cupra R
Subaru Impreza STi

:D

Best car magazine I ever bought. Well worth the staggering 79 SEK it costed me (like 8 dollars!)! And it has the largest expensive watch add per page ratio I ever seen!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Replying to Topic 'CAR December'

That test is stupid. Offcourse the Mazda6 can't win from those cars. The M6 would do much better if the Vectra, Mondeo, Laguna, Primera etc were against him

·
Registered
464 Posts

Yeah rediculous test with a line of luxury cars against the Mazda6. I am glad it at least beat one car though!

In usa would probably be more suited against the Accord, Camry, Altima, Impreza, etc.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Yes, the '6 is in for primary competition from the Accord, the Camry, and the Altima. Secondary competition comes from the Passat and Maxima.

But I assure you, the '6 stands in a class by itself.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

AJ, you're starting to sound like me! You're raving!

What happened?

Oh yes, you have tested the car...I forgot...:D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Steve, you said it: You have to drive it to understand. The longer my test drive sinks in, the more I like it.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes. Normally when you buy a new car, the fun starts to reduce itself after a while...you kind of realize that it's "just a car" after all. This has not yet happened to me. I'm still thrilled like a kid everytime I get to drive it - if so only around the block...:D

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Replying to Topic 'C

The new Saab 9-3 beats the A4? And they did rate the interior design? They must have been blind. The interior design of the 9-3 is as boring as Opel and GM cars can be. Plastic look and feel all the way. Didn't know that it's stylish cupholder is that impressive that it will actually affect the grade for interior design.

·
Registered
231 Posts

The british driving press show their incompetance again. The next thing you know they will be comparing the Mazda2 with a Ferrari and saying, "By golly chaps it just doesn't match up!"

·
Registered
71 Posts

Originally posted by solarbear

The british driving press show  their incompetance again.  The next thing you know they will be comparing the Mazda2 with a Ferrari and saying, "By golly chaps it just doesn't match up!"[/b]
Latvian auto journalists made a test Audi A8 vs Daewoo Tico (You should know that boxy car, which looks like a dishmachine with windows and wheels) (Predecestor of Daewoo Matiz) several years ago. This test was intended as a proof that not all results of such test could be objective. They stated several normal measurements and started testing.
Tico won 4.5 (of 5) to 0.5. It was quite logic since some of measurements were related to parking ability, posibility to drive within speed limits (In Audi You can fall asleep);
city driving (Tico was able to get through the lanes like a motorcycle) and trunk space (even here Tico won, because with rear seats down it was capable to carry a normal size refriferator).

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Originally posted by Driver6

The new Saab 9-3 beats the A4? And they did rate the interiour design? They must have been blind. The interiour desing of the 9-3 is as boring as Opel and GM cars can be. Plastic look and feel all the way. Didn't know that it's stylish cupholder is that impressive that it will actually affect the grade for interiour design.[/b]
Hmm and the interieror in the Audi is? The 9-3 seems to be a very nice car. First SAAB I really want to have (OK a 9-5 Aero wagon isn't that bad either :D).

The SAAB might be a little dull but the Audi is boooooring.

The best interiors IMHO are from Mercedes and Volvo. Havn't actually been in a new Mercedes but I have been in a V70, and the interior is 1st class. Rigid, easy to use, spaceious...

That's something I don't really like in the Mazda... Sure it's a "solid" feel to it, but the center console somehow doesn't fit in.. The dash itself is very nicly sculpted, almost like a Volvo. It feels though as you'r about to scrach the silver things all the time. Hasn't happened anything yet but it doesn't feel to safe... And there are two silver things in the car - the little border on the glove compartment and the "lid" of the center console... Feels "added", just like when you add wood to a car that wasn't meant to have wood.

Don't get me wrong, It's a good looking interior, sure, but the car otherwise gives a very solid and "serius" feel about it, and then you see that rounded silver console... It should have been in a darker coulur and maybe tilted a little towards the driver. Also a little sharper... Like a Volvo :D

Hmm haven't driven the 6 in almost a week now... :( :D

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

The Audi surely has the nicest touch and the best materials in the inside. I didn't say that I like it :D , but it surely looks better from inside than many other cars out there.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

It is sort of a compliment though, in a backhanded kind of way. To have these writers even consider the 6 among this group of cars is revolutionary. Would you EVER compare an Accord, Camry, or Altima with the cars in this group. Never.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Good point. Even though it is being compared to much more expensive cars, and therefore losing, it's a compliment to even be put in that class in the first place.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

And beating the X-type, a brittish (oh.. well... Mondeo'ish) car in a brittish magazine :)

·
Registered
82 Posts

Kinda funny, but I graduated college recently and work for Ford, but I have no intention of ever buying a Camery or Accord (besides the fact their ugly); but I am choosing the M6 of the Mustang for simple practicality reasons.

I figure also that the M6s will have enough juice to keep me happy anyways, and the Mustang interior it just to plain dull and unsophistcated

http://www.dafey.com the poll so far

·
Registered
315 Posts

Interestingly,

What brought me to the 6 was the other cars I had been considering.
These include:
WRX
BMW 325i
Audi A4 1.8t Q
Jaguar X type 2.5
Altima 3.5 SE
MBenz sport coupe
Infinity G35
Lexus IS300

And some others which are sport cars not sedans.

My opinion is that the 6 is more in line with Euro cars than typical Japanese fare.
I've driven the Altima, Camry, Accord and frankly those cars lack the soul and spirit of driving which the Mazda posseses
in bunches. The 6 is right up there with my favorites 325i, A4, G35 (this one has uncomfortable seats though).
The 6 is a great car for the money, though it could have used more power in the V6 form.

Right now I'm waiting for the Chicago auto show to make a final decision on what I want.
It's between the new 04 WRX and the 6s. I wish that a Mazdaspeed version were quick in coming, but alas, it doesn't appear to be. I'm leaning towards the WRX, but it'll depend on the seats and price of the added sunroof and cold weather options to see if it's worth the added cost.

Tome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts