Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a few questions I am hoping someone can assist me with. I live just outside of DC (in silver spring, md) and to find a decent car wash is not an easy task, let alone a place to vacuum out my new 6. I decided to look into getting a car vacuum to keep in the trunk with my other car care supplies. Does anyone have a good vacuum they can recommend? I have seen a lot that look like dust busters, but to be honest, I would like something more like a shop-vac that has attachments and such.

Also, I am thinking about getting a Meguiars car care kit that comes with soap, polisher, wax, scratch-x, etc... anyone have any thoughts on this?

Im just trying to get some good products and tools to keep my new 6 looking good.

Thoughts??

Thanks.. Mike :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Car Care Products'

Look at sears for a good tool vac. Smaller than a shop vac but great for the car.

Wax....I use nufinish and have had great results but I'm sure there are better ?
As long as you but something on it your ahead of the game in my book.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Car Care Products

Meguiars has some pretty good swirl mark remover stuff, but that's unnecessary for a new car. Since your car is new and does not need precleaner, I recommend Liquid Glass. I use it and love it. Put a third coat on today... and since I also live in Silver Spring, you're welcome to come see it :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

stretch,

i have been looking for ya cruizin around silver spring area but to no avail! Im actually up in Wheaton, with a Silver Spring zipcode.. go figure. Where abouts in Silver Spring are ya? Im near the intersection of Georgia and Randolph. :sarc

·
Registered
791 Posts

Haha... you live about a mile from my house. I live at the intersection of Georgia and Plyers Mill Rd. It's also closer to Wheaton, with a Silver Spring zip code.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I bought a 1 gallon Shop Vac at Walmart for $20. It's small but does a pretty good job. I think that the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze and Body Shop line (beige bottles rather than the red ones) are superior. You can usually find them at bigger auto supply places. You can get good results with just about any product, it's more about the prep and application than the product. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Hey crazyflash4, have you tried a product called Zaino? It works wonders, makes your car have that 'wet' look. When its properly applied, oh man does it look amazing! Check out their website: http://zainobros.com/

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I would have the car paint protected with toughguard www.toughguard.com, its great stuff, you never have to wax and the car looks great right outta a wash. I had my mazda dealer do it for me for about $180 (the toughguard stuff it self is like $120). Steve6er recommended it to me b/c my car is black, and I'm a big fan of it now.

·
Registered
791 Posts

I saw my 4th '6 today- a Steel Gray w/ spoiler and rims, but I couldn't tell if it was the sport package or not. It was too quick of a glimpse.

It was on Randolf road right before it hits Rockville Pike. Was that you?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

I was thinking of toughguarding my car also, i was wondering, does anyone know where to get it done in the philly area? I live in an Apt complex and I have no hose, or shade or anything so it would be really hard for me to do it. Would any detailing shop do it? Thanks

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

i use nufinish and meguiars pure carnabau wax don't know how to spell that right now..lol

anyhow....i judge if there's wax on my car by washing car or spraying water on it to see how it flows, etc.

to me it seems the wax only last a few weeks instead of months...sure teh surface feeels smooth but i wax to see my water flow off freely ;)

i also used wax polish also last a few weeks

am i doing something wrong?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Ichi

also last a few weeks

am i doing something wrong?[/b]
What do you wash the car with? I hope not dish detergent.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by g-cubed

I was thinking of toughguarding my car also, i was wondering, does anyone know where to get it done in the philly area? I live in an Apt complex and I have no hose, or shade or anything so it would be really hard for me to do it. Would any detailing shop do it? Thanks[/b]
I would get the dealer to do it, it wasn't that expensive ($180); they guarantee the work, and it will be easier to claim a problem if for some reason you paint faded before the 5 year warranty is up from the product b/c they have it on record.

·
Registered
526 Posts

After numerous phone conversations with the owner of toughguard, I applied to to my car per his instructions - and two weeks later, waxed the car with Nu Finish.

The shine that came up with Nu Finish (unreal) tells me that the TG ain't worth anything close to the money.

Save your pennies and have the Xpel stone guard applied.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

After numerous phone conversations with the owner of toughguard, I applied to to my car per his instructions - and two weeks later, waxed the car with Nu Finish.

The shine that came up with Nu Finish (unreal) tells me that the TG ain't worth anything close to the money.

Save your pennies and have the Xpel stone guard applied.[/b]
why did you wax the car? I thought the point of TG was that you didn't have to? I run my car through a brushless wash once a week and I'm good to go.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Car Care Products'

Also...the point of Toughguard is not only giving the car a finish (which it also does); but to protect the paint at a molecular level.

I see cars that were treated ten years ago with Toughguard that look brand new... Not even a swirlmark in the paint.

I wouldn't trust any wax to do that for me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Is there a way to find out if there are toughguard installers in my area?

·
Registered
78 Posts

1) How soon after you got your car did you give her the "first" wax job?

2) What is the average price for toughguard?

3) Any products you recommend for cleaning the interior?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts