Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like everyone to contribute to this. I'm looking to purchase some car care products for my car. When I owned my Saturn, I really didn't care too much for the quality of product I was using, but now since I've got a car that I'd like to actually take care of, I'd like to find some products that are moderately priced that will get the job done. Here's what I'm looking for and what i've used:

1. Tar and bug remover - Black Magic Bug and Tar remover
2. Glass cleaner - Windex
3. Leather treatment/polish (for the seats and doors) - never had leather before
4. Vinyl treatment/polish (dash, doors, plastic and other vinyl in the car) - STP Son of a Gun
5. Lubricant for seals around the doors and windows - never used any before
6. Soap - Turtle Wax mild soap
7. Sponges
8. Cloths - terry cloth
9. Wax - Never used any
10. Polish - Finish First
11. Tire polish - Black Magic (never could get the wet look again)
12. Polish for the rims - never had rims, just covers

Any suggestions would be helpful. I've already read through the thread about Toughgard. Please suggest things other than toughgard. Thanks.

BTW - please don't give reasons on why you use certain products, just list them. Thanks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Reading Topic: Car care products....

how about Armor All?
:D

not using it but i don't expand more since you asked only listings! ;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

Meguiars leather wipes are good for the leather...does the cleaning and conditioning all in one.

for a nice drying cloth, use a chamois.

-Yasir

·
Registered
231 Posts

I use windex to get rid of the bugs on the front. I spray it on. Then I wash it off with the soapy water. Works great and it doesn't clog up in that black grill like some bug and tar removers.

Mineral terps is the best for removing road tar under the door and along the bottom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Car care products....'

Hi,

This is my very first post on any board. I'm normally just a lurker.

I wanted to add my experience with some car care products, I learned about a couple of years ago. I have been using some polishes for a company called Zaino Brothers. It is a multi step process, but the results are awesome, and last a long time. I have used their clay bar, Polish Loc, Show car polish and Gloss enhancer. I have been using it on my 2001 Protege (Black Mica); with a once a year polish and every couple of weeks gloss enhancer spray. The car still looks like new with a deep shine. I just polished my new "6" (Black) over the last cople of days and it has improved the shine by double. I also plan on using thier leather care products in the near future, and will give my impressions when I do.

Just a side note. I garage both my cars. I have used these products on a 1993 Chevrolet Blazer (Piece of plastic junk) that was kept outside all the time and the polish lasted almost a year on the hood. The best I could do on this vehicle before with other products was somthing lasting a couple of months.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Here's what I use....

Wax = Meguiars Gold Class for body, lenses and your rims too! You can wipe of brake dust afterwards without effort.

Tires = Meguiars Gold Class Endurance High Gloss

Wheel Cleaner = Eagle One "A2Z" **BEST OUT THERE**

Windows = Armor All Window Cleaner

Detailer = Meguiars Quick Detailer "Spray"

Rain-X - all windows.

As far as anything else, door lubes etc... Check with your dealer, there are various types from white lithium grease to graphite based products.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I use two setups. On my Miata sofar I like NuFinish. Seems to pull up the blue nicer than Meguiar's wax. Easy to apply but a little dusty getting it off.

I tried NuFinish on the trunk of the 6 but didn't like it on Onyx Black. So I did my normal Mequiar's on the hood as a test.

Wash with a good Auto shampoo.(Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash)

Claybar (Mother's) with a slightly more concentrated water/shampoo.

Wash again.

If needed I would do Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Cleaner applied with Orbital Buffer (foam pad). (skippped this time)

Next, Meguiar's Deep Crystal System Polish applied with Orbital Buffer (foam pad). Taken off with 100% cotton terry cloth towel

Last a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax. On with the Orbital Buffer (foam pad); after it hazes, a quick wipe with a terry towel to remove the majority. Then buffed with the Orbital Buffer (Terry Bonnet)

From the results, I will stick to the Meguiar's for the 6.

The buffer I use is a WaxMaster 7" Waxmaster Orbital Buffer.
That i got at Pep Boys for around $45.

·
Registered
376 Posts

i think the use of a protector for the seats might be good... i heard scotch guard makes good ones...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

It is interesting to see all the work everyone is doing for their cars :) Personally I just use Ajax dishwashing liquid....so everybody don't get my car after I trade it in...the paint may not last long.

Ajax is great, costs less than $2.99 and actually causes the water to be repelled when it rains.

I tried a whole list of products on past cars and eventually reached the conclusion it is all a scam, the car looks no diff than using soap and water and elbow grease. Wax, and all that doesn't seem to do much unless a car is older. If the clearcoat is still intact that's all you need. Course I don't own a car longer than a yr, so no telling what the long-term effects are.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Originally posted by Phrosted

What?  No one's chimed in with Toughguard yet?  :D[/b]
Becuase the guy said he didn't wanna hear anything about toughguard.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

ZMZSIX...I think Phrosted was making a joke...I for one thought it was funny.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I use Blackfire products and Microfiber Tech's microfiber towels on the exterior. The Blackfire is a bit of a dust magnet but man, what a shine. Here are the results of one my last detail job.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Ok, I'm completely jealous!!!! I haven't had time to clean my car. It's completely filthy from when I went skiing. I need to find some time to clean my baby.... sometime this week when it's NOT cold or raining... damn weather sucks down here...

·
Registered
526 Posts

Some of my favorite tools/Chemicals for car care. Nothing terribly special. After doing some reading, I think I'll add a clay bar to the process as well.

1. Nu Finish wax - easy on, easy off, even in direct sunlight. Not the slightest bit abrasive. Killer shine.
2. 3M Tar & Adesive remover - takes off everything, bugs, asphalt etc. but believe it or not is totally safe on dash plastic. (TEST it for God's sake before wiping the center of your dash)
3. Blue Coral car wash.
4. big leather chamois
5. Lexol ph leather cleaner & Lexol leather conditioner.
6. Simple Green - works good a as a pre-soak to washing & brake dust removal. Not a big deal at all, but don't let it sit for long on bare aluminum.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Originally posted by crimson773
Any suggestions would be helpful.  I've already read through the thread about Toughgard.  Please suggest things other than toughgard. Thanks.

BTW - please don't give reasons on why you use certain products, just list them.  Thanks.[/b]
Well, I guess that list would work.

If you want serious products, that will last and are easy to use:

1. Tar and bug remover: P21 Orange Cleaner
2. Glass cleaner - Stoners
3. Leather treatment/polish (for the seats and doors) - Lexol
4. Vinyl treatment/polish (dash, doors, plastic and other vinyl in the car) - Lexol for Vinyl
5. Lubricant for seals around the doors and windows - Lexol for Vinyl (works great on rubber)
6. Soap - NONE
7. Sponges - Only a REAL Sea Sponge.
8. Cloths - terry cloth (Make sure they are 100%, white and preferably US made.. they are the best and you can get them cheap.)
9. Wax - 3M Hand Glaze (of course clay it first.
10. Polish - Bullit or Blitz Wax (Unless you go with the whole Zanio process, real time consuming, but solid results. I can get the same result with 3MHG and Blitz though).
11. Tire polish - Eikman Fabrik
12. Polish for the rims - Depends on coating. Chrome (Mother's Chrome Polish); Painted (use the wax on the car).

www.carcareonline.com has ALL the answers.

If you can save up $150, you can get enough stuff to dial you car in for a good 2 years.

If you on a budget, I know a lot of poeple love Mother's stuff, I think it is easier to use than Meguiars.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Car care products....'

Okay, since noone else has said it:

Toughguard!!! :)

There you have it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts