Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So against my better judgment I decided to do some work on the Bose system. e.g. upgrade my speakers add sub, but keep the factory deck. I brought it somewhere to have an amp and sub installed and man didn't realize it was so expensive, anyways after about a week of working fine I was driving and started getting this loud popping noise coming out of the sub. I thought at first might have just been a loose connection, but when I was able to pull over and check I didn't find anything. When I started up my car again and turned the radio back on, much to my chagrin, the sub is now blown, didn't even have it turned up loud either. I don't know much, read anything, about car audio stuff, so first question is, any ideas on what might have caused this. I really don't want to install another sub and perhaps have it do the same thing again.

Second I bought some 5.25" and 6.5" Infinity Kappa speakers for rear/front. This seemed a little more straight forward so figured I could install these myself. After getting the door frame off and the stock speakers taken out, I couldn't get the 5.25" to fit, the tabs (love technical terms) for mounting are just a little too big to fit inside the plastic enclosure. I haven't tried the front speakers yet, but I fear it might be the same. Lots of people have installed these without problem so I'm not sure what the deal is. I suppose I could dremel out the plastic enclosure or the metal tabs on the speaker... but would rather not if at all possible. Any advice would be appreciated, I'm about ready to start pulling my hair out over this.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if your work was done at a pro shop have them fix it. it sounds like the sub was wired incorrectly.

any time you mount aftermarket speakers in the stock location fitment is an issue. it's expected that you may need to make/buy brackets or cut out stock enclosure/panel.

search on speakers, there are a ton of posts. mazda6tech.com also has a real good right up. keep in mind that the bose speakers work off 2Ohm; odds are you bought 4 Ohm speakers. you're best bet is to add a four channel amp, or wire your speakers to 2Ohm, or accept that they won't get very loud and that you may have problems down the line.

all this is covered in other posts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the Bose wiring is 2 Ohm, which is why I bought the Kappa speakers, I didn't want to have to re-wire and they are 2 Ohm impedance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts