Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was reading on here yesterday that these cars (manual with a v6)only go 58 in 2nd gear. It was seemingly backed up by a spreadsheet showing that in fact I couldn't go 60 in second. It made me wonder if I was nuts cuz I was pretty sure that I've put this car in second gear at 55 miles an hour and floored it to pass people a couple times. I remember I was impressed that this car would go more than 60 miles an hour in second gear. reading that yesterday kind of confused me.

Is there a tag on the trans somewhere? I'm wondering if mine is possibly not original to the car.

·
Rally Racer
2,272 Posts
I was reading on here yesterday that these cars (manual with a v6)only go 58 in 2nd gear. It was seemingly backed up by a spreadsheet showing that in fact I couldn't go 60 in second. It made me wonder if I was nuts cuz I was pretty sure that I've put this car in second gear at 55 miles an hour and floored it to pass people a couple times. I remember I was impressed that this car would go more than 60 miles an hour in second gear. reading that yesterday kind of confused me.

Is there a tag on the trans somewhere? I'm wondering if mine is possibly not original to the car.
I suppose this would be true if your adhered to the recommended maximum RPM. Pushing into red line will yield higher speeds but I noticed you didn't even come up against the rev-limiter. I bet you can hit 70mph! :thumbup:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I was able to hit 80 kph (50mph) on second gear at 5000 RPM (or 4500, I can't remember). I have the diesel variant, in case you are wondering with the low RPM limit.

I'll try to get a picture of the actual one next time.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I love to redline my car but I have never downshifted into 2nd gear at anything over 45MPH as 3rd gear is right at the fat part of the VVT around 4K-4.5K RPM and pulls harder and you also don't have to immediate3ly shift. I was sad when the dealer reflashed my PCM and lowered the redline to the actual listed redline as befoer that it would rev to 7K RPM.

I really wish there was a simple solution to tune the first gen V6, the 3.0 was designed with a theoretical redline of 8K RPM, but I don't know where the power truly falls off enough to justify such hich revs. I know right now it pulls hard to the limiter as I am constantly bumping it, lol.

·
Registered
605 Posts

Your post inspired me to try tonight while getting on the interstate. Can confirm that 2nd will reach over 60 mph--I got up to 63 or 64 before it bounced off the rev limiter. In hindsight it probably wasn't that smart because it was really cold out and the engine had only warmed up for a minute or two. But oh well, it was in the pursuit of science!

·
Registered
625 Posts
You all make me want to buy a standard lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
No reason you can't have two 6's...

I would like to have another one the V6 makes decent power with the auto I think it would be 100 times better with a standard but it always comes down to $$$

·
Registered
605 Posts
No reason you can't have two 6's...

I would like to have another one the V6 makes decent power with the auto I think it would be 100 times better with a standard but it always comes down to $$$

I hear that. If I had more money to throw around I'd have A LOT more cars... And a very unhappy wife and neighbors too...

·
Registered
980 Posts

I hear that. If I had more money to throw around I'd have A LOT more cars... And a very unhappy wife and neighbors too...
It is possible to have a happy wife with a lot of cars. So as long as we know what to prioritize, and that is the wife!

Disclaimer: I don't have a lot of cars, but I know someone who has lots and lots of cars and the wife doesn't mind.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It is possible to have a happy wife with a lot of cars. So as long as we know what to prioritize, and that is the wife!

Disclaimer: I don't have a lot of cars, but I know someone who has lots and lots of cars and the wife doesn't mind.
Oh, I have no doubt it's possible. It's just that we're in the "expensive" part of life (3 young kids--1 that's almost a teen, mortgage, car payments, student loans, etc. etc. etc.) so car collecting has to be put on the backburner...for now :cool:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Life with kids stays expensive, my boys are 16&17 and they are sucking more money out of our budget now than when they were babies, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts